Saturday, January 13, 2007

Secret Santa Dies

Once I make my millions, I want to be a philanthropist, like this guy, whose identity was unknown before this past Christmas.
Larry Stewart, a millionaire who became known as Secret Santa for his habit of roaming the streets each December and anonymously handing money to people, died Friday. He was 58.

Stewart died from complications from esophageal cancer, said Jackson County Sheriff Tom Phillips, a longtime friend.

Stewart, who spent 26 years giving a total US$1.3 million, gained international attention in November when he revealed himself as Secret Santa. He was diagnosed in April with cancer, and said he wanted to use his celebrity to inspire other people to take random kindness seriously. "That's what we're here for," Stewart said in a November interview, "to help other people out."

3 comments:

  1. That's really sad he died. I guess you'll just have to take his place as the next secret santa ! =)

    1mil from millionster.com

    rebuilding from scraps

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife and I feel the same way. Part of our quest to become millionaires is fueled by our desire to help others.

    It's a shame that Secret Santa died. The rest of us need to pick up the slack and keep the tradition going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This man is very much, my grandfather. I have watched him hand out $4-500 a day to people. I've written about him, he is my mentor. I too, pray that some day I can be as generous.

    The thing that is hard for me, is - my gramps gave money out, even when there was none. I always feel like there isn't enough. I give, but not enough with our huge debts. I hope I don't always feel this way. What this man did and what my gramps does, is something the world needs.

    ReplyDelete