Sunday, January 28, 2007

Eating Well on $0



As I stated previously, I was going to a state political convention this weekend (2 blocks from my house). I went from reception to reception drinking free soda, water and occasionally wine. Most rooms served cookies crackers, etc, which of course I partook of all that junk food. One room even had (plain) strawberries as well as chocolate dipped strawberries. (those were so awesome)

However, the Abates, a motorcycle advocacy group, served ham and roasted turkey, constantly warming in a crock pot. Let me tell you, I loaded up on that turkey. It was so delicious, and a nice change from the beans and rice that I have been eating so much of. (note: the Abates room is the only room open through out the entire 2 day event, even when other rooms are shut down for meetings or expensive banquets.)

The best deal though, was when I surprised by someone selling tickets to one of the banquets, who said that he wanted to give me a ticket to the luncheon on Saturday. So I went to the Veterans luncheon free and was able to hear former Topeka City Councilman and former Assistant-Secretary of Defense (currently employed at the American Trucking Association) Dan Stanley speak. Not to mention the meal that I was able eat.


However, the blessings did not stop there. As I was preparing to get ready to leave and walk the two blocks home, someone came into the ABATE reception where I was still milling about and asked if I wanted the extra ticket to the Kansas Day Banquet he had. The banquet is pretty much the end all banquet for the weekend and celebrates the birth of Kansas (Kansas will be 146 on January 29). I graciously accepted the gift and thanked him as I had my seat in the room, in front of my salad, that started the meal.

All in all, even though a lot of it was junk food, I ate very well this weekend and didn't go hungry. Not to mention, I spent nothing on food. One thing I learned though, was soda pop (especially my coca-cola) is beginning to taste to sweet to me. Maybe that's a good thing. Most certainly a great first step to weening myself from the sugary concoction.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I got the same idea after reading Hungry For a Month. I'm only going to do it for February though. I'll be keeping track on my blog also. I'll be watching what you eat as well so I can get some ideas for cheap meals.

    I could get free meals fairly often at my school but I've decided not to eat them. I consider it "cheating" for my plan. It is a good way to stretch the food budget though.

    ReplyDelete