It's very easy to crank up the air-conditioning, during this extreme heat. If you do, be prepared for a larger energy bill at the end of the month. Here are some tips to cope:
- Consider using fans to help move cool air more effectively.
- Close your window blinds during the day to keep out the sun and heat.
- Invest in a smart thermostat so you can regulate temperatures throughout the day to use less energy.
- Turn up your thermostat, while you are at work or away from home for an extended time. Does your house really need to be 65 degrees if no one is home?
- Use your vents wisely. Shut off rooms that aren't used on a regular basis to help conserve cool air.
If you need assistance, GreenPath can help you prepare and review your budget, to help prioritize your expenses and budget for increasing utility costs. We can also refer you to local city and state programs to help you apply for utility assistance.
On days of extreme heat, don't forget about those who may need your help. Always remember to look in on shut-in neighbors and relatives. Also, watch your pets and neighborhood pets closely. They need more shade and water during this heat wave.
GreenPath provides in-person credit counseling, financial education and debt management services in more than 60 locations in 16 states. The company also offers licensed services by phone and Internet throughout the United States. For more information about GreenPath, visit www.greenpath.org or call (866) 648-8122.