Monday, November 8, 2010

Jobs Data - Keys To Land A Job

Remember a few Presidential Elections back, when Bill Clinton used the phrase, "It's the economy, stupid," during his successful campaign against the President George H. W. Bush. Today, as I was writing this post I considered using that as my headline. Ultimately, I decided not to, even though I wish someone would tell President Obama that.

A news report was issued this weekend, regarding a Labor Department report which showed that the United States economy added 151,000 jobs in October.
The gain was certainly a welcome change after four months of job losses, and was better than what economists had expected. Still, it was not nearly strong enough to make a dent in unemployment. Nearly 15 million people are still out of work, and the unemployment rate remains stubbornly high at 9.6 percent.
- New York Times

So there are jobs out there. The bad news is that those of us who are unemployed can't find them. So how do we find those jobs and land one that will provide for our families? Especially, when 80% Of the openings aren't even advertised?

According to CNN's Your Money, which I like to watch every Saturday, "You have to know somebody who knows somebody to get you a job." According to those they had on the program, most jobs now days are landed by networking. No, not networking with the President, CEO or Human Resources Director, instead networking with an employee on the floor. Someone, that we would actually be working with. They then make a recommendation, "I worked with this guy in the last company, he's fabulous." So the idea, is to figure out how to network with those people and get the recommendation, that each of us need, to land that job.

For me personally, being new here, I am starting without knowing anyone, making it harder for me. That's why it is important for me to attend these job fairs, to talk to folks at church and to interact as much as possible. Then I have to follow up on each of the leads I am given. You never know, which lead may be the exact lead that lands me a job.

---
go ahead share your thoughts with me now, my ears are open. I'm always eager to hear what you think.


follow me on Twitter



No comments:

Post a Comment