Saturday, October 2, 2010

What About Credit Counseling Services

When you are in debt, there comes a time that you have to get serious about your debt. You have to start spending less then you make. Allowing yourself to set some of that money in savings for a rainy day fund (Emergency Fund, God Only Knows Fund or whatever you call it).
One of those tools to accomplish that goal may be to seek out a non profit credit counseling service. A service like this can help you immensely. These services do not offer any loans, but they do help with debt consolidation. Here is what they do.
They help by setting down with you and finding out about your situation. You have to be open and honest about your finances, so they can help you avoid the same mistakes that you made in the past. Take me for example. I made a number of mistakes over the years. I admit it freely. A number of you have ridiculed me and even made very harsh comments, as if I was portraying myself as a counselor, rather then a writer on financial topics. A writer, who used his own mistakes and shortcomings as a tool to help him learn (and yes, hopefully the reader to). I went to a non-profit credit counselor a couple of times, before I started this blog. I was never completely honest with them. I his debts, that I refused to give up. As a result they weren't able to do their jobs, and help me build real wealth. Eventually, I learned the hard way. I had to get rid of the debt. I cannot be rich, if I am spending more then I make. It is a simple thing to do, but it isn't easy to dig yourself out. I wish I had done more earlier, to listen to the non-profit credit counseling services. Perhaps, I could have a bigger networth now, then I do.

I am not going to say that spending less then you make is going to be easy. Heck! It can be hard. I am a spender. I want all the new computers and TV's, but I have to keep telling myself, I can't afford it. If I really want these things, I have to save up for them. That is a struggle and that is something these services will help you understand. By learning about you, they can help you learn how to overcome your spending desires and work for the bigger goal. If you are willing to listen to them and do what they teach, you be able to retire well off. Or, at least wealthy enough that you wont be spending your golden years working at the golden arches and eating Alpo. In the process, they will do a debt consolidation, so that you have a single lower monthly payment. However, be careful and avoid these companies that advertise on late night TV or radio. You only want to do business with the non-profit agencies.


---
go ahead share your thoughts with me now, my ears are open. I'm always eager to hear what you think.


follow me on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment