Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Multiple Sclerosis

I must admit, before being approached to write this post, I didn't know much about Multiple Sclerosis. I mean it is something I should know something about. Especially since, an aunt has M. S. But, in reality, the only thing I knew was the telethon that I see every year on television during Labor Day weekend (and the paper shamrocks that various retailers sell every March to raise money for MS treatment. So, I thought it would be a great idea to write this post, and perhaps learn a little more.

The first thing that surprised me was that white (Caucasian) people are more likely then African-Americans, Native-Americans, and Hispanics to get the disease. Likewise, the further you live from the equator, the more likely you will be stricken with the disease. Apparently, this is because your skin produces more Vitamin D, as it gets more sun. I don't understand why this is, but that is what I learned as I read through the website. The site suggests that a "healthy" daily dose of Vitamin D supplements could help lower your risk in colder climates.

As for the Multiple Sclerosis Diet, the site indicated that there was no direct link between diet and whether or not your symptoms improve or not. However, the site does indicate that if you have a healthy sensible diet is beneficial to your overall health. As is the case, with everyone. If you would like to know about M.S., I highly suggest checking this site out, and get all of your M. S. questions answered.


---
go ahead share your thoughts with me now, my ears are open. I'm always eager to hear what you think.


follow me on Twitter



No comments:

Post a Comment