Tuesday, October 12, 2010

TutorVista

When I was in school I hated math. I refused to take any advanced math courses when I was in high school. I thought, I was lucky because I was the last grade that could squeak through with nothing more then general math. Even though they highly recommended more advanced classes, before going to college. I now wish I had taken more classes. Perhaps, I would have found that I might of liked math better, once I understood it better. In fact, I wish my parents would have pushed me harder in school. Perhaps, even having me tutored.
Today, there is even more tutoring options available to parents and their kids, then ever before. If I had learned Algebra 2 better, I might have done better in college. I might have stayed in college and finished. Instead, what math I learned, I ended up teaching myself, as I was thrown into the real work world. I had the drive to succeed at my job, and I couldn't continue counting on my fingers. I had to learn to figure things in my head, so I taught myself some tricks to make it happen. Tricks, that would make most math teachers cringe. Still though, they have helped me the last 20-years in the retail world.

I could have been better prepared, if in 5th grade math, I had understood adding fractions. If I had understood at a younger age, I could have done better in high school as well. Which in turn would have made me better prepared for college, and eventually the real world.

Math is so important. You can't do anything without it. It along with reading are two of the most important subjects that you need to get through this life after school. When I was in school, I didn't believe it. However, it's true. If only I had someone in my life, when I was a kid, that would have pushed me harder in these areas. Please, if you are a parent, take an interest in your kids education and get them a tutor. Help them to be prepared for college and the work world. Don't let them just slide by.


---
go ahead share your thoughts with me now, my ears are open. I'm always eager to hear what you think.


follow me on Twitter




No comments:

Post a Comment