Thursday, December 23, 2010

Trying To Get Better With Commas

O.k., so this post has nothing to do with finances, but it does have to deal with blogging. One of my English teaches in high school told me one key was to use commas where you pause or breath. However, a website I have been reading says that is a Myth.
MYTH: You should add a comma wherever you pause. Where you pause or breathe in a sentence does not reliably indicate where a comma belongs. Different readers pause or breathe in different places.
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

So that is one mistake I have been making. I think the only commas I have been getting consistently correct has been after the "however" at the beginning of some of my sentences. I am trying to get better at this. It does seem odd though that no one really said anything about these mistakes the first 2 or 3 years of the blog. Especially when that was when even more grammatical errors were made. However, that doesn't matter. What matters is that I am trying to improve. It may take a bit of time, but I will read and reread this sheet from the University of North Carolina till I learn it.

---
go ahead share your thoughts with me now, my ears are open. I'm always eager to hear what you think.


follow me on Twitter and Facebook





No comments:

Post a Comment