Friday, December 3, 2010

Earliest Memories of Money

In Jane Honeck's book, "The Problem With Money? It's Not About The Money!"; she discusses looking at your earliest money beliefs:
Your earliest money beliefs may have come from your family. How your family modeled money directly affects your relationship with money. Even though your family may not have spoken openly about money, their actions and energy spoke louder than words. Whether the message was one you followed or ignored, it still drives your money life.
As such, in her first assignment, she encourages her readers to reflect on their earliest money memories. So, I will be doing just that in today's post.
My earliest memory about money was when I was a small child. I can't remember how old I was, I just remember I was quite young, in the grocery store. Where I saw a toy; on the spinner rack near the check-stand, that I wanted.

I was with my dad, who didn't get it for me. When we left the store, began to cry and I cried all the way home. Dad couldn't seem to figure out why I was crying. After getting home, I was asked by mom. Upon finally learning, I was crying because of a toy I wanted, Dad and I returned to town, so that I could show which toy I was wanting. At which point he purchased it for me.
The toy was a set of (1-D) plastic (green) buildings from Silver Dollar City (I think) with the plastic (Red) cowboys to set up in front to have their gunfights.

To say the least, I was very unhappy, until I got what I wanted. Unconsciously, I received the message that money buys happiness. Something, we know isn't true, but subconsciously do we really believe that?

-- Now it's your turn ---
What is your earliest money memory?

  • Where were you?

  • Who was with you?

  • What were you feeling (anxiety or fear? Anticipation or happiness? - what?)

  • List any beliefs that MIGHT have developed from that incident.


    ---
    go ahead share your thoughts with me now, my ears are open. I'm always eager to hear what you think.


    follow me on Twitter and facebook



  • No comments:

    Post a Comment