Saturday, December 25, 2010

Merry Christmsas and the "Wild" Christmas Trees of Highway 360

One of the things I have heard about from other Austin bloggers, like Don't Mess With Taxes, is about what she called "wild" Christmas Trees. Apparently the folks around this area will stop along the highway and place decorations on the many trees growing along Loop 360 (aka Capital of Texas Highway). The decorated trees (Juniper Bushes) seem to be between, FM 2222 and Hwy 183, but it seems that the number of trees decorated grows from year to year.
In a post from the blog, Life Distilled, it seems the local paper did some investigating with a tongue in cheek article (that's no longer available on their site - not even in the archives).
It’s a bit of a seasonal mystery, one that has attracted the attention of the Texas Department of Transportation, which maintains the right-of-way along the highway. (O.K., we admit we stirred things up when we called them.) Turns out this Austin display is, well, unlawful.
As someone, who loves Christmas and Christmas trees, I had to see this for myself. I just couldn't wait for the Christmas season, so that I could view these trees of love of the holiday. Not to mention sharing these trees with all of my readers.

Once, I heard that the trees, had begun to appear, I made the detour off my normal route down 183, to see the trees.  While I was there taking these pictures, one of the local news teams arrived, wanting to interview me about my thoughts on the trees.  I mentioned how it was unique to Austin and that it was a great sign of Christmas Spirit and giving, but all that was cut out for the partial sentence that they used in the story.

Hope you enjoy the picture(s) and video (below).

Have a very Merry Christmas!

 

Video from KVUE-TV (ABC Austin News), who interviewed me as I was taking these pictures Dec. 2, 2010.




---
go ahead share your thoughts with me now, my ears are open. I'm always eager to hear what you think.


follow me on Twitter and facebook





No comments:

Post a Comment