Saturday, December 1, 2007

Do ya ever have any fun?

From time to time I get naysayers on one of the blogs that I write for saying something like,
Do ya ever have any fun?


They usually follow that up with something like,
but what about now. If you die tomorrow, you've missed out for over saving.


Of course Dave Ramsey says, if people don't make fun of you, then you must not be doing something right. I usually try to tell them you don't have to put yourself in the poorhouse to have fun. Still though, they come back to the "I want it and I want it NOW" statement that has put us all into debt. People we all must learn how to live within our means. There is a reason that this country has a negative savings rate for the first time since the great depression. It is because we are all spending and living off our credit cards rather then saving part of our money. If we had all listened to our grandparents and great-grandparents then we wouldn't be in this shape. Which in turns we could have money to budget for "fun."

But, because we didn't spend wisely, we now must tighten the reigns and for a time, not have all the fun, so that we can dig ourselves out of this mess. Everything, I discuss here is pretty common sense stuff that our grandparents and great-grandparents told us when we were kids. Of course like kids everywhere we thought we knew better and put ourselves in debt. I for one don't want to live a life in the prison of debt. Instead, I want to enjoy the freedom of being debt-free, and I will soon be there if I stick to my plan. Oh sure I have had a few set backs (because of my own stupidity) and I may have a few more before I am completely in a position to have a savings for most of my emergencies, but I will get there by the end of 2009 and in my hopes by the end of 2008.

With that, I would like all of you to think of fun things that can be done without an additional strain on the budget and share them here.

Awaiting to hear read all your comments as always.


5 comments:

  1. Go to Library and check out a movie for free. Go home pop some popcorn and watch the movie for a movie night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the summer, a number of the suburbs in Denver have free outdoor concerts in one park or another. You could hear a new band almost every night of the week all summer. If you like sports, there are always recreational teams playing at various parks. People watching is always free. I second the movie rentals at the library. There are lots of opportunities if you look for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just thought I would check in and say hi....I finally have a few minutes to read some blogs and of course, yours is one of my first!

    I totally agree with you. We always want it now. I am so glad I have changed the way I see things. It is so much more exciting when you save up for something and then get to buy it. You work for it and then you realize whether it is worth the money.

    I hope you get your debt gone before 2009 for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good post, Kevin. I have cheap fun! Today I went to the YMCA and worked out. Then I ate pho soup for five dollars, and read the Wall Street Journal over coffee and a cookie. Total cost: $36/mo for the Y, and $11 for the rest. That's my relaxing Sunday fun.

    When I really get down, I might treat myself to a movie. But if I'm in debt, and especially if my debt carries interest, my fun better be cheap. The ends don't always meet, but I must try to make them meet.

    Last night I stayed home with my friend and we played with Lego blocks and stuffed animals. We also watched a Netflix movie. Big fun!

    Maybe it's a lesson they'll have to learn themselves, Kevin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Libraries are a valuable resource for not only inexpensive or free movie rentals, but just about every library I've been in has lots of bulletin board displays of free or inexpensive events going on in the community. Some libraries even have an online community board to find things to do.

    Also, check out local colleges and universities, especially if they have music programs. Students often offer free concerts, or even theatre productions for very little cost.

    ReplyDelete