Friday, December 28, 2007

Are my Resolutions Realistic for 2008


As the new year comes upon us, it is time once again to consider one's New Years Resolutions, and to look back at the past year's. As a personal finance blogger, perhaps I should take a better look at my financial situation for 2008. Will I really be able to reach my goals or am I being overly optimistic?
Our first stop is to see how I did with the resolutions that I made last year.

  • Officially pay-off and eliminate the credit card.
    Since I still had charges being charged to this card for part of 2007, I didn't make this goal. I did make significant inroads on this debt in the last 6 months, having eliminated 3/4 of the debt. I expect this debt to be gone no later then Feb. 29, 2008.

  • Eliminate the remaining Home Improvement Loan. - While I didn't finish getting this debt paid off, I did make significant inroads to reducing the debt. It may be optimistic, but I am hopeful that I can get the last $950 paid off by the end of July, so that I can focus on the my bigger debts. Of course to do that I will have to figure out whee I am going to come up with the additional $100 over my current minimum payments.

  • The Chevy. - When I did my resolutions at this time last year, I wanted to figure out how to get out from being upside down in this loan. I was hopping to either get a significant amount of this debt paid, or to sell the car and get a cheaper car to drive around in. At this point, I still have the car, and the Credit Union is withdrawing $100/week from my account to keep this loan current.

  • Education. - While I looked at taking some classes in finances, none of the schools I looked at worked out. They wanted me to go into debt and said they had no grant money whatsoever to help finance my further education. Since, I refuse to go into deeper debt, I am continuing to look.

  • Love. - Last year my resolve was to be in a better place financially, so that I could once again date and find my soul mate. While, I did go on one date this past year, it did not develop into anything more after that one date. Besides, I am not financially able to date at this time anyway.


    So now that we have looked at last year, my goals for 2008 are:

  • Get everything except the car paid off - I feel more confident then I did this time last year that I will be able to get all of my debts, excluding the auto loan, paid off by the end of this year. I will finally see an end to several of these bills that I have spent nearly the last 2-years working on. (You can see my position by looking at the chart below).

  • Home Improvement - Once my home improvement loan is paid off (by March 31), I would like to get insulation installed in the walls of my house, finally get central air-conditioning and repair parking in the back. I want to do this without taking on additional debt, which means I will have to save up first. I am not sure I will actually be able to do this in 2008, but I certainly would like to see it happen.

  • Love - Waiting for God's timing is what I keep telling myself, but that is hard to do sometimes, especially when one desires a helpmate. It is my hope that I will be able get more financial stable in 2008, so that I can feel comfortable dating again.

    AccountOutstanding BalanceMonthly Minimum PaymentPayments This Month
    Providian Credit Card$395$25$200
    Amerifirst Mortgage
    $990$75$35
    FingerHut$1,000$50$10
    Car Loan
    $10,745$400$405
    IRS$3,796$0$0


    Would love to hear your thoughts.


    "Strange things happen when you're in debt. Two weeks ago my car broke down and my phone got disconnected. I was one electric bill away from being Amish."
    - Comedian Tom Ryan



  • 4 comments:

    1. Can I give you another goal? Don't read on if the answer is no.

      Call the IRS, with your debt papers in hand. Your goal is to get the debt reduced or eliminated. In my experience, I have seen the IRS eliminate, completely, debts with higher income than yours. I do not believe you earn enough - at your debt level to repay this debt.

      If you would rather not call. Write a letter to the address on the notice, include a copy of the notice, divulge all your financial information (income and debts) and request that they give you debt forgiveness on this.

      The way I see it, you have nothing to lose. And freedom to gain.

      ReplyDelete
    2. thanks dedicated, I appreciate your comment. I wrote a post of what I found out from the IRS in regards to your suggestion. I think I will get the form 656 and take a closer look at it.

      So come next Wednesday, I will go downtown to the local IRS office to get that form.

      ReplyDelete
    3. You need to act quick on the IRS and start paying them something every month, don't mess with the IRS! they will take everything you have...

      Sorry, don't mess with the KGB.

      With your income you should be able to settle this for 1000... act quick, use 150 from your online ads and pay per post.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Thanks debt Blog for the comment as I said in "A Look At The IRS Debt," I have been in contact with the IRS and they have me in what they call "deferral" because of my low income. In other words they aren't actively pursuing me because of my income. My refunds do go straight to them though, to reduce the debt.
      I am not be charged penalties, but I do pay interest of 4%-8% (depending on the market). Currently it is now 8%.

      ReplyDelete