Sunday, December 23, 2007

The Secret to Get More

How many times have you heard someone say or perhaps said yourself, that if the boss paid more money then they/you would give him/her more work? It is a common theme I have heard numerous times. In fact as a shift manager, I have heard it more times then I care to count. My usual answer is what several financial writers and bloggers seem to be witting in the last couple of weeks.

The simple fact is, you will get more when you give more. Make yourself more valuable to your employer, s/he will in turn give you more. It simply does not work for you or anyone else get more, if you unwilling to give more. So if you want to earn more money, then give more to your employer.

Show up early and stay late. Take the initiative to write that report, instead of passing it off to someone else.

Maybe, you just need to give up more time to take a second job, so that you can earn more. Notice that I am saying earn, rather then make, only the treasury department can make money legally without going to jail.

Also give to charity. I know, I have repeatedly said to save your money, but some reason this actually works. When you help someone else, and put them before your own needs, your remaining money seems to stretch further. As I said, I can't explain it, but it seems to actually work.

Larry Winget tells of a time when he was bankrupt and he had the urge to give $100. After he put in the mail, he wondered how he would explain this to his wife. That night, his attorney stopped by his home. Wondering about the unusual house call, he invited him in. The attorney explained that someone had forgiven a huge debt in his practice and he wanted to pass on the good fortune and handed Larry an invoice and said that it was forgiven. As Larry looked at the invoice in disbelief, he noticed the bill (now forgiven) had been $100.

However, the principle doesn't stop there or with finances. Give up TV time or time with your buddies and spend more time with your family and your relationship with them will grow. No matter what it is, you have to give more to get more.



2 comments:

  1. Great post. I firmly believe in Pay it Forward. I budget each year for charitable giving. It's just one more thing I include that I feel is necessary. I'll give away $100 then work my tail off somehow to make it back. I never thought that maybe the "found money" I see occasionally could be karma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where I work, everyone is paid within a few cents of minimum wage. There is no promotion path. There is no way to earn a raise. Your Mileage May Vary.

    ReplyDelete