Wednesday, July 25, 2007

So Am I heading To School or Not?

Yesterday, I posted that I was talking to the financial aid person at Bryan College. Sorry I can't say that I see Harry Potter attending school there. But I have never seen any of the movies either, nor read any of the books, so perhaps I just didn't recognize him.
But seriously, I realize that young Mr. Potter is not even a real person, so I would be a loon, if I did think that I saw him.
I can also assure you that the anti-Semite professor Ward Churchill, that was recently fired from the University of Colorado will not be hired by this school. "All of which is very nice to know," I can hear you screaming as you read this post, "but did you get in?"
Well in a word. No! Here's the weigh down. The financial aid director said that by federal guidelines and the information that I provided, I made to much to get any of the federal grants. That was a relief, because I thought it would be because of my IRS debt. I did however, qualify for a subsidized loan, in the amount $6,515 over the course of the entire 14 months. I also qualified for an additional $6,680 unsubsidized loan over the course of the 14 month. All of which means that I would have to come up with an additional $3584 on my own. An amount as you all know, I cannot afford at this time. So there will be no school for me, in the near future.

There you have it. Time for me to get focused again on a second job and get these debts paid off ASAP.



4 comments:

  1. Before you bury this, what about applying for scholarships, or checking with your employer, or the added tax benefits you will receive (have you done the math?).

    Can you start with 1 class or 2? Paying as you go, utilizing some subsidized loans?

    I guess I am just curious if you played it all out in different scenarios. Don't look back and think "I could have been here, if I did this."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks dedicated for the reply. This particular College is a 14 month degree college. Meaning no classes unrelated to your degree. They have classes begining every six weeks, and all the students in a particular degree start with the same class, which is the only class they take that 6 week period. For example my degree choice (Business administration) all the students spend the first 6-weeks studing software solutions, then move on to business comunications, followed by (in the 3rd 6-week period) Principles of Business, etc etc. Each class (6-week period) garners the student 6 credit hours. At the end of the 14-month term the student would graduate with a total of 60 credit hours. At which time the school helps place the student.

    My employer does not offer tuition reimbursment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of the most valuable things I have learned come from the things I haven't gotten...than what I have.....it will all work out...keep on going on your debt payoff.

    ReplyDelete