Wednesday, July 18, 2007

An 84 square foot Home?

Did you see this story. I seen this video on CNN yesterday. The video comes from:Katu.com


TreeHugger.com wrote:
Dee Williams wanted "a simpler life, time, more money. I don't have a mortgage. I don't have a big utility bill." So she built herself an 84 square foot house- "Not much to it. Simple. Small. A dream house tinier than a parking spot." Her monthly heating bill is $6 bucks and electricity is free from the solar panels.

Dee built the tiny cabin herself out of salvaged material. She picked the door out of a dumpster and retrieved the floors from a house fire. Dee's new tiny home sits in her friend's backyard.

To our eye it looks suspiciously like Jay Shafer's Tumbleweed Home but no credit is given in the article or video; that is the way of the world. Nonetheless Dee is happy in her knockoff home. "Right now there's nowhere else I want to be!" Watch the video at ::Katu.com


Now thats what I call thrifty. That's what I call frugal. Maybe i should consider finishing up my tool shed. Turning it into a small home. Then I can rent out the larger house.

Now i realize that I can't do it at this time. I have to pay off to many debts at the moment, but when I do, it would be a great way to save money in the long haul. I mean $6/month electric bills. Wow! That would be awesome.

Hmm, I will have to think about this more. What do you think?

5 comments:

  1. This is a great post. If I didn't have so many kids still living with me I would definitely consider this. (Oh, I'd have to convince the wife also.)

    Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dees 86 ft2 house is amazingly spacious inside. I never expected to see an upstairs loft for her bed. I didnt expect to see a kitchen,and a bathroom either. WOWSIE I mean Wow!

    I dont like the idea of her house being built on a trailer. What would she do if someone hitched up to her house while she slept and took off? She could wake up in another state. She is just asking to get house jacked, with that itty bitty house on a trailer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw one once about a guy who dug a house into the side of a hill. I've always been a bit envious of people who do these kinds of things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you don't mind voluntarily living in a space fit for a prisoner- go for it.

    Frugality for frugality's sake is a mistake. Either do something like this because you would enjoy it and its "your thing" or make enough money to at least manage a lower middle class type existence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Her story made it onto the Yahoo.com homepage. The simple-house idea goes back centuries, as I wrote about on Inexpensive Home Building.

    ReplyDelete