Friday, July 6, 2007

Business or God

When I left Chicago, to return to Kansas, I did so with one purpose. That purpose was to serve God and to create a ministry to provide services to the poor that currently aren't (or no longer are) provided to the poor.
However, somewhere along the line, I got off track and made being a rich and famous businessman my goal. Perhaps, that is why (or at least part of it) I have been having such a hard time financially.
I think perhaps I need to put my eyes back on him, and get a group to incorporate so that we can then begin forming the not-for-profit and start raising money and other donations to serve the poor members of the community.
One of those ideas, I believe is inspired of God, is creating a food pantry that is modeled more after the clothing bank then the current food bank models. I mean, the poor are people to, perhaps they don't like or maybe even allergic to some of the food thrown in the box. The new set up would, set up the pantry like a grocery store. They are given a somewhat generic list of say 10 canned items, 3 lbs of meat, 1 package of sweets, 2 packages of bread, etc. In this way they can pick out what they would actually use and the agency would still be able to control the amount of product to the client. There are number of other things that I would like to see the agency provide, many have not been done locally, since another guy here had to retire, because of his health and close up his agency.

Of course, the new agency would need to run debt-free, but I think it is possible.

That's my thoughts for the day, what do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Location - that should be your first priority. I would check local churches or community centers for any location that may have an empty area that would be sufficient. Keeping an eye on low to no rent.

    Refrigeration - meats and such need this - check into any closing or going out of business stores or restaurants. Low or no cost again. When folks hear what it is for, this increases the odds of getting the price down or out.

    I like the idea of options, but would it require more man power? Would it allow for more "loss"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds to me like you're still trying to think and act like a businessman--you're just putting a charitable spin on it. If you want to help poor people, why not just do it. There are probably existing organizations, soup kitchens, etc. that would welcome your help. I hope you'll dig deep and examine your true motives here. Is this about helping people, or is it about your need to run a big operation and feel like you're in charge of something?

    ReplyDelete