Thursday, January 6, 2011

Frugal Tip: Winter Heat

Here is the second in my series of frugal tips.  Not every tip will work with everyone.  I encourage you to implement as many as possible, but you and your family as a whole have to be willing to do them.  It has to be a combined effort of the whole family to make them work. Today I will be discussing the furnace. The furnace thermostat is one place that can cause the greatest debate. So figure out what all the decision makers can live with and do it.


 In 2008, I was single and kept the thermostat at 67 degrees.  Since then I got married and my wife was one to keep her furnace set at about 72.  This was a real conflict. I said she could bundle up.  Still though 67 was to cold for her. In fact even the 70 degrees we ended up agreeing on was still to cold for her.  Probably due to her handicaps.   She realizes though that she can wear warmer clothes and that the lower setting does save on the heating bill. 

It also helps that we are  in central Texas where it doesn't get as cold as it does back in Kansas.  That fact helps as we don't have to use the heater nearly as often. So the 3 degree difference from what I did as a single man is not noticed.   Although the area is expecting the longest cold snap this year (and I think they said the longest in a decade). The cold front is to move in next week and last 1-2 weeks. So we shall see higher heating bills next month.   The key is to turn the heat down a degree or two so that you can save a few bucks on your heating bill.

---
go ahead share your thoughts with me now, my ears are open. I'm always eager to hear what you think.


follow me on Twitter and facebook





No comments:

Post a Comment