Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Frugal Tip: Light Bulbs

Over the next few weeks I will publish the frugal tips that I have collected. Please note that not every tip will work for everyone. Chose as many of the tips that will work with you and your family and start implementing them. Today we will start with Tip #1 light bulbs.


In 2008 I was in the process of changing my light bulbs to compact fluorescent lights (C.F.L.) bulbs to save money. I was living in my own home and I wanted to save the money and energy I was wasting by using those incandescent bulbs. Now that I am in an apartment I am in the process of converting what bulbs hadn't been converted already.

Since 2008 CFL's have come down in price dramatically. Yes they still are more initial cost at the time of purchase. However, you save that extra cost in the cost of the energy that you save over the extended life of the light bulbs.


Besides in 2012 the incandescent bulbs will no longer be available, by order of Congress. In fact those will have to have been used up by 2014 when even the use of Thomas Edison's invention will be illegal. However, suppliers may not be able to sell them even that long, as home improvement Store IKEA announced that as of yesterday (1/4/11) they would become the first store to no longer stock or sell any incandescent bulbs in its 37 United States store (and probably all 299 worldwide).

---
go ahead share your thoughts with me now, my ears are open. I'm always eager to hear what you think.


follow me on Twitter and facebook





No comments:

Post a Comment