Monday, January 10, 2011

Frugal Tip: Insulation

Over the next few weeks I will publish the frugal tips that I have collected. Please note that not every tip will work for everyone. Chose as many of the tips that will work with you and your family and start implementing them. Today we will proceed with Tip #3 Insulation.


Insulation is the most effective way to improve the energy efficiency of a home. Insulation of the building envelope helps keep heat in during the winter, but lets heat out during summer to improve comfort and save energy.
Insulating a home can save 45–55% of heating and cooling energy.

Benefits of insulation:
  • comfort is improved year-round;
  • it reduces the cost of heating and cooling by
    over 40%;
  • it pays for itself in around five to six years;
  • there is less need for heating and cooling which
    saves non-renewable resources and reduces
    greenhouse gas emissions;
  • it virtually eliminates condensation on walls and
    ceilings; and
  • some insulation materials can also be used for
    sound proofing.

  • If you have a home that isn't insulated (or is under insulated) I highly recommend that you get insulation added ASAP. In the house I recently sold, I went several winters with no insulation. I finally got insulation blown into the attic and it made a real difference. Now that I am in an apartment I hope that the owners were smart enough to install insulation when they built these buildings in the 1980's.


    ---
    go ahead share your thoughts with me now, my ears are open. I'm always eager to hear what you think.


    follow me on Twitter and facebook


    No comments:

    Post a Comment