Monday, September 6, 2010

New Church Home

Ah sweet water of life
(OK so the picture, doesn't exactly fit with the topic, but oh well)
Since arriving in Austin, nearly two (2) weeks ago, my wife and I have been searching for a new church home. Our first Sunday here, we went to a church across the street from our complex. That church, my wife felt too uncomfortable with. They seemed too friendly, especially one individual, in particular. There were also some other things that concerned her, which I won't get into here.

So this last Sunday, we drove a little further, and visited North Austin Christian Church. The church, is smaller then the previous one we visited and they seem to be more genuine, in everything. Unlike many churches that have both English and Spanish services, this church has Spanish services in the morning and English services in the afternoon (after a weekly fellowship dinner for both services).

The church has several outreach ministries to the neighborhood that surrounds it. Including Heavens Harvest, which every Monday from 6:30 p.m. to 8:00, distributes food and clothing.
Heaven's Harvest encompasses several ministries for the community. Heaven's Harvest has available food, clothing, and showers for the homeless.

Heaven's Harvest is open for people to receive food and clothing every Monday from 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Also, every third Friday of the month, fresh food is given away in the front parking lot of NACC, starting around 1:00 in the afternoon.

There are no qualifications necessary to receive food and no paperwork is required. We will pray with all who come, provide Bibles and invite everyone to visit the church services.
- From the Churches Website

Among other ministries they have a neighborhood program called "Fiesta" which is an outreach program for the neighborhood kids, a 12-step program, P3, which reaches out to young adults, so that they can have a "passion for Christ," among other ministries. Over-all I believe this may be the church home for my wife and I. In fact, we have already decided to get plugged in and start helping them with some of their outreaches. It looks to be a very positive church to be a part of, and they genuinely seem to care about everyone. Personally, I hat the drive, but everyone seems much more genuine there, then they did at the other church. They are friendly, but in a way that seems much more genuine, then the first church. Of course, personally, I liked the other church to, but as I said, my wife had several concerns. One of which, was I mentioned above.

---
go ahead share your thoughts with me now, my ears are open. I'm always eager to hear what you think.


Sponsor This Post(via PayPal) for $75 and Replace This Text.

follow me on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment