Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Lost wedding ring finds its way back to widow

Here is another feel good story. I know it's not exactly personal finance, but it does make you feel good, knowing that there is still honest people out thee.

The Austin American-Statesman is reporting this morning,
Michael and Mary Hornsby were married on Dec. 29, 1961, at St. David's Episcopal Church in Austin. They had two sons, but shortly after their third wedding anniversary, Michael, a Navy pilot, died during training for action in the Vietnam War.

Forty-five years later, Mary still wore her wedding ring everywhere — until Monday morning.

The thick gold band with its solitary 1-carat diamond slipped off the 73-year-old's finger as she was leaving a Costco in North Austin before noon. After fruitlessly searching under cars in the parking lot, Hornsby said she left believing that she would never see her ring again.
- Austin American-Statesman
Fast forward a few hours, when a young couple came to the store looking for baby formula.

"I couldn't believe it was out there," Roberto Castaneda said. It gleamed in the sunlight, he said, "and (I) just said, 'Oh, my goodness.' "

The Castanedas saw the ring's worn inscription, and though they couldn't read it, they knew the ring was special to someone.

"We could definitely tell it was a ring that had been taken care of for a while," Lisette Castaneda said.

The couple left their information with Costco employees, who connected them with Hornsby after she called to check on whether anyone had found her ring.

Hornsby drove to the Castanedas' home Tuesday to retrieve the ring.

The Castanedas learned that the inscription read, "MDH to MMH."

"It has a beautiful story; I'm glad it's back where it belongs," Lisette Castaneda said.
- Austin American-Statesman
The article states that Hornsby made the comment that, "I believe in miracles, and I think this is one, everything had to fit together right."

What a beautiful story. One that I know my wife will love, when she gets up and sees it.
---
go ahead share your thoughts with me now, my ears are open. I'm always eager to hear what you think.


follow me on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment