Wednesday, September 29, 2010

I Am Debt Free

Just over four years ago, I started this blog to discuss my own personal struggles with debt and what I am learning about debt and budgeting. I had $19,591.80 in debt the day I started the blog. Not to mention $3,460.23 that I owed the IRS. Over those 4-years since that day in March, I have paid most of the debt off.
Well now I am pleased to report that as of today, every last cent of that debt that I started with then is now completely paid off. I am Debt Free!

Well not quite, I still have a debt on the house, that I am selling, to pay for the siding that I had installed on the house. That remaining debt will be paid off, as soon as the house sells. Which, good news is, I have received an offer on. So even that debt ($11,706.33) will be paid off come October 14th, when it closes. The bad thing is that, according to the estimates, I will only get about $50 from the sell of the house, once all closing costs and the siding is paid for. However, I will be completely debt free (everything including the grant money that repaired my house, when I first bought it, will be paid off).
Below is the payments that I just paid off, this week:






  • Chase Credit Card $1,593.97







  • IRS $1,420.81 $811.89






  • So how did I make this remarkable accomplishment? I cashed in my retirement account from my previous employer, rather then rolling it over. I know, I know, that isn't the best move, then again, when I owed the IRS, I had to do something. So I made that move. Then I called the IRS to find out what my current balance was. That is when I found out, because I am currently unemployed I could get at least part of the interest and penalties abated. Which really helped in lowering that debt even more then it was already. I had already paid back more then the original debt and now they really were going to help me eliminate part of the remaining balance. That was terrific news. However, I have money set aside to pay for any additional tax consequences because of this move. I do not want to be surprised again, come tax time. Thank you Jesus, I can now say officially that

    I am debt free!


    Look for the sidebar to be updated in the next few days.
    ---
    go ahead share your thoughts with me now, my ears are open. I'm always eager to hear what you think.


    follow me on Twitter





    No comments:

    Post a Comment