Sunday, October 21, 2007

The first step is always the hardest

I was talking with a couple of people at work about my effort to become debt free. One of them laughed me off (just like Dave Ramsey {1440 AM - 7 pm} says people will) like I was stupid. She seems to do this a lot, however the other guy made the comment that being on a fixed income you have have to use credit to survive.

What he failed to understand, was that being on a fixed income is the very reason you need to live on cash, rather then credit. I agree once you have been living on credit rather then cash, it will be hard to cut the credit strings.

That is what I tried to explain to him. It is as the saying says, "the first step is always the hardest." The first step to getting debt free, much like alcohol to an alcoholic, is to get rid of the credit cards and other forms of borrowing. Once you can manage to cut the credit strings and get a handle on your money, then budgeting will be all downhill from there.

Personally, I don't feel I have control of my budget yet, however, I can see the light as some of debts are actually nearing payoff. Once that happens, I can begin to build my savings and thus have control of my money.




If you like this post, buy me a coke

4 comments:

  1. Remember if people laugh at you, your on the right track,

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hs -
    very true...I never put much stock in what she says anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you can't afford to live on cash, you can't afford paying interest on what you buy. People just don't seem to understand how much money they are losing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what she needs is an emergency fund, not credit!

    ReplyDelete