Saturday, October 6, 2007

Need New Shoes! - Exploring My Options


A couple of weeks ago, I wrote about my suspected Plantar fasciitis
(heel spurs). Today, I visited the shoe company that the orthopedic person suggested I visit. He said it was the only shoe place he would recommend. Before I went though, I visited another shoe company that it was obvious that the sales associate didn't know what he was talking about. So I said to the friend with me let's check out this Great Plains Running Company.

Since we had already been abandoned, it was no problem getting out of there and down the road to the Great Plains location.

Upon entering the store, everyone was busy, so we locked around and eventually Karen, the stores community relations person came out to help us. She talked with us and then began to measure my feet length and width to find get the proper shoe. Once the measurements were made she showed me the inserts to correct the proration of my feet and unlike the grocery store inserts also cups/supports the heals. She then had an associate help my friend find a pair of running shoes. While he was measuring his (my friends) feet, Karen was busy having me try on several pairs of shoes (with the inserts slide in) to find the most comfortable.

When it was said and done, the decision was that the Brooks Addiction was the best shoe for me. She gave me a card with the information, so that I can return in a couple of weeks, when I get the $100, to get the shoes. We left with the (SuperFeet) inserts in a bag and as I type this, they are now in my cheap crappy shoes. I look forward to getting the better quality shoe, but for now I have some arch support to help begin to correct my bad walking habits.

I would recommend to everyone in the Topeka, KS area to look up Great Plains Running Company. They are the only company that I know of that takes the time to find the shoe for your specific foot needs. Not only that, but they are very professional and know what they are talking about.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to see that you decided to take care of yourself. You've only got one body and it's gotta take you through this life.

    Hope you love your new shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sunny, I think I will once I can buy them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for submitting this article to the FitBuff Carnival. I've Dugg and Stumbled this post individually, so please return the favor by Digging and Stumbling the carnival to bring even more readers to your blog:

    Digg It:
    http://digg.com/health/Total_Mind_and_Body_Fitness_Blog_Carnival_18

    Stumble It:
    http://www.stumbleupon.com/submit?url=http://www.fitbuff.com/total-mind-and-body-fitness-blog-carnival-18/&title=Total%20Mind%20and%20Body%20Fitness%20Blog%20Carnival%2018

    ReplyDelete