Friday, October 19, 2007

Job Shift - What's Next?

I just received word, that my store will be closing. Just a few short months after I was transfered to be the lead shift supervisor they have announced they will be closing the store.

All employees will have positions they are promising. It is unknown where all the employees will land. Especially those of us that are in management. For someone like me, that would be third in charge in a larger store, but am second in charge in my current store, it could be more difficult to place. My store manager, will be reduced to assistant manager at whatever store she ends up,

For me, looking at past situations, whatever store I end up, I will be added on as an extra shift supervisor. For example if I return to the store I was transfered out of, they have two shift supervisors and 2 overnight managers (which are the same rank, on paper as shift supervisors), I would be a third supervisor.

I could even be forced to retake the reigns of the overnight crew. Something I really don't want to do, but it could happen.

At this point, I don't know what where I will end up. I have my vacation on the calendar for the week after next. Which means I would have one week left before the store closes, when I get back.

This may mean I will have to change my vacation time also. I still have to get my 1 week and 1 day of vacation time taken before the holidays. However, I may have to reduce my vacation to say 2 or 3-days at the planned time and then take the rest after my latest transfer.

I was expecting this, but it is still disheartening. This is the store I started in back in 1990 and again when I returned to Topeka in 1999. Over all, this is the fourth assignment I have held in this store. My foster parents shop in this store and don't like any of the bigger stores that have popped up a couple of miles away from us (this store). So it is kind of disappointing that I will again be moving and will never see this particular store again.

4 comments:

  1. I know exactly how you feel when receiving news like this. When BCBS Medicare Dept. announced they didn't win the contract and I would loose my job March 1, 2008, I was disheartened. I felt like my future was uncertain. I did't want to leave. I thought I needed to look for a job. I though I need to put together a resume, and I need interview skills and practice. The positive for me was having prior notice. I know it is hard and I hope an even better opportunity presents itself through this trial for you.

    I resolved to find a job and do the preparation work to get it. That gave me some hope. My company helped me too, by giving Medicare people preference on job openings. I did find a job within the company and I really like it. I took a 50 cent cut, but I believe that I will make it up in a year or less.

    My next goal is to study programming at Washburn U., the local college, and get my computer science degree and get a better, and more exciting job.

    You have alot of skills and talents. You are a likable man. You have energy and you know the grocery retail business.

    In opinion, the best approach for you is assess your skill set. Examine your passions. And you probably already did this. I would keep in contact with your company as you already are. And you could redo your resume and get someone to help edit it and improve it. You can look for job openings in the local paper. And in the long-term you can make plans for owning your own business and the steps you need to get there. Maybe Falley's competition needs someone with your experience. And they might pay better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. one word: shop. look for offers for a much lower rate. it can't hurt to apply. if you get the lower rate, transfer the balance from WaMu, and then close the WaMu card. this feels quite good. i know you are against new lines of credit but you have the debt and so the only question is what rate you pay on it until it's paid off. 36% is crazy. i would do anything i could to get that balance transferred elsewhere, and get that card closed... today. I have never asked any company to lower its rate. I just tell them their rate's too high when I call to close the account, and almost always they lower it immediately. You need to accept that you're in a marketplace for credit, and you need to use that to your advantage. Sticking with 36% is not to your advantage, it's their right to keep it that high, and it's your right to GET ANOTHER LENDER AT A LOWER RATE. GOOD LUCK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SORRY THAT COMMENT IS FOR THE OTHER POST! OF COURSE. oops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't tell you that I know how it feels because I really don't but for what it's worth, I do hope that you and your workmates would get the job that's just right for you, good luck and look at the bright side, even if the store's closing, you still have your job.. what's worse is that you lose the store and your job along with it, right?

    ReplyDelete