Friday, May 23, 2008

Spending: $0! -- Meals For Future frozen

I didn't buy anything to drink at work. I was able, for once, to slip out for lunch. Came home, at more of my potatoes, carrots and meatballs. All in all, I ate 2 meals from what I put in the Crockpot. When I got home from work, at 10:30 pm, I dished up 5 more meals and put them in the freezer for future use.

In addition, I found a recipe for homemade corn dogs. Even the little bit size ones. Think I might make my own, sometime in the near future. It does mean However, I will have to buy ingredients that I have never had in this house. Like cornmeal and baking powder. My biggest thing is all the oil, I will have to use for the deep fat fryer. Then again, maybe I can make several dozen of them at once to make that oil go a lot further.


* 1 cup milk
* 2 medium eggs
* 1/4 cup oil
* 2 tablespoons sugar
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 1/3 cups corn meal
* 2/3 cup flour
* 1 to 1-1/2 pounds hot dogs
* flour for dusting (about 1/2 cup)
* Hot Fat for Deep Frying
* Popscicle sticks




In a large bowl combine the milk, eggs, oil, sugar and salt. Mix it very well. Sprinkle in the baking powder, corn meal and flour. Stir it all up to make a slightly thick batter.

Take your hot dogs and dry them off on paper towels. Dust the hot dogs with flour, coating them completely. The cornmeal batter won't stick to the hot dogs unless they are coated in flour. The batter just slides right off of the wieners naturally slick outsides. Shove popscicle sticks into the flour coated hot dogs. Set the hot dogs aside.

While all of this is going on, it's a good idea to get your hot fat to heating up. You want the temperature to be about 375°. Allow the fat to preheat so it is almost smoking by the time you are ready to add the corn dogs.

Now, to coat the floured hot dogs with batter you have two choices. You can swirl the hot dogs in the bowl of batter until they are coated, and then drop them into the hot fat. If this is a little difficult I know of an easier way. Scoop some of your corn meal batter into a narrow jar or cup which is as tall as your hot dogs are long. Fill the jar or cup about 3/4 of the way full. Dip your hot dog into the batter while you hold onto the stick. Swirl the hot dog to coat it evenly. Be careful or the batter will overflow. Raise the wiener above the cup and let any excess batter drip off. Quickly place the battered dog into the hot fat. The fat will bubble up and cook the outside of the batter, making the corndogs the exact same shape as the ones you buy at the store.

Only fry a few corn dogs at a time. If the corn dogs crowd each other they don't fry very well. I only fry 2 or 3 at a time. Turn the corn dogs when the bottom side is well browned. Use tongs to remove the cooked corn dogs from the fat. Allow them to drain on paper towels. Repeat the process, coating and frying a few at a time, until all of the corn dogs are cooked. Refill the narrow jar or cup with batter from your bowl as necessary. Continue until all the hot dogs are coated or until you no longer have enough batter to coat the hot dogs efficiently.

If you don't want to waste any unused batter, it can be dropped by small spoonfuls into the hot fat, and fried until brown. Serve these along side the corn dogs.

If desired, you can make small corn dogs by cutting hot dogs into thirds, or quarters. Poke a toothpick up into the end of the hot dogs. Coat and fry them as described above. These are nice for fancy days, and for kids parties. Provide plenty of ketchup and mustard for dipping.

This recipe makes about 12 to 14 corn dogs.

- From the Hillbilly housewife




Tomorrow, I only work 6 hours, my "half-day."
---
go ahead share your thoughts with me now.

Get Paid to Sign Up, Refer Others, Read E-Mail, Complete Offers, and More!

5 comments:

  1. 1) I don't understand why you do not brown bag your lunch to work. Driving back and forth from your home to work is an unnecessary expense even if you save on food.

    2) Baking soda should be a staple in every household. It is rock bottom cheap and can be used for 100s of uses (try to borrow: Baking Soda: Over 500 Fabulous, Fun, and Frugal Uses You've Probably Never Thought Of (Lansky, Vicki) from your local library for more info)

    3) You should definitely eat healthier. Do you have a garden? can you grow your own veggies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right. I very rarely eat at work. That one day, was the first time that i even left and got lunch in about 3 or 4 months. I usually eat right before I go to work or after I get home. If I buy anything at work to eat, it is a candy bar or bag of chips...I know it doesn't look like it from the recent posts but eating like that is very rare.


    I don't have baking soda either, but it is baking powder that I said i would need to buy. They are 2 very different things. The recipe above, doesn't use baking soda, so I didn't mention it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to grow my own garden, but need $300-$500 to cut the trees that make it even hard for the grass to grow in all the shade. Something, i have wanted to do for 9-years.


    I would also need to gain access to a tiller to till the ground up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. first of all I agree you need to brownbag your lunch, even if it's just a bologna sandwich. I'm the queen of lunch on the cheap. I used to spend less than $1 for lunch, and that was soda included!
    Secondly, unless something gets into the oil that contaminates it, after it cools, it should be able to be stored and reused. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder what the cost of this recipe is, do you know?

    I dont eat corndogs, but my son does. We get 16 for 4.99 at the store. I wouldnt think we could make them cheaper than that.

    ReplyDelete