Saturday, June 25, 2011

The Essential Credit Repair Handbook

When I was first asked to review this book I took one look at the title and thought no way would that be a book that I would agree with. However, I decided to give it a fair shake and so I agreed to review the book. After having read the book I can say some things the author Deborah McNaughton said in her book was not what I expected from the title. In the introduction she states that the purpose of writing the book as to empower and encourage the reader to get back on tack after a loss of income or wage cut. Section 1 (chapters 1-6) of the book is what surprised me most. As in part she talks about getting out of debt. In fact in someways she sounded like Dave Ramsey. So much so that she even talked about the snowball effect. However, please don't misunderstand she also has ideas would run smack in the face of what Ramsey would say. Still as a person to read different ideas with an open mind I don't shut others ideas out completely until I have completely read what they have to say. I do this because I want to compare all of these ideas to what I know to be true according to the Word of God.

Like many other authors on this topic she suggests set goals. For example ideas for short range goals include:
  1. A solid budget
  2. Getting out of debt
  3. Paying your bills on time
  4. Saving money
  5. Having a good credit report
  6. High FICO scores
Examples she uses for long range goals are:
  1. Buying a home
  2. Buying an automobile, boat or motor vehicle
  3. Own your own businees
  4. Pay off student loans
  5. Retirement
  6. Investing

Obviously some of these ideas Dave Ramsey blatantly says to avoid. However, McNaughton is not Dave Ramsey. She has her thoughts in these areas.
Personally I would like to avoid and student loans ever again. Even if I do decide to go back to college. However, that means I would have to find other ways to fund that expense as well as support my wife and I.
Overall I found the book to be a very interesting read and would recommend everyone to read it. Even those Dave Ramsey fans can find some kernels of wisdom in this book if they will open their minds to what she has to say.

--- go ahead share your thoughts with me now, my ears are open. I'm always eager to hear what you think. follow me on Twitter and facebook



No comments:

Post a Comment