Wednesday, June 8, 2011

A New Beginning - Focusing on Set Goals

I started this blog over years ago (March 2006). The goal was to eliminate my debts. Along the way I accepted donations (over all less then $25), sponsorships (over all probably less then $3,000) and a lot of hard work at a full time near minimum wage job to eliminate my debts. I even decided to go for a dream and risk my financial future by selling my house, getting married and moving with my new wife to a warmer climate. The Great State of Texas. I left behind friends, family and even connections to move to a state where I was basically unknown.

Some of the things I did were not the best choice. Even though I managed to get out of debt there was damage done. I spent almost six months without a job. I trusted the Lord my God and somehow lived on my wife's social security. I can't explain how we did it, although I did dip into savings and funds I received from sponsors of this site.

Now I have a job and my beautiful wife is eager to get a place of our own. To be honest, I want our own place to. However, savings is not really up to the levels we need it to be. I am tired of our financial goals being set on the back burner. I am ready to clean up MY mess and push forward toward our dreams (goals). It is time to start with a new beginning. A task I am sure to accomplish, because as Dave Ramsey says, It's easier once you know how. Will I/we make mistakes along the way again? Probably! We are human. The key is to recognize our mistakes, pick ourselves up, brush off and refocus upon the goals.

Currently I am making sure that my wife and I:
  1. Tithe at least 10% of our income.
  2. 10% of my paycheck is automatically being put into our emergency fund.
  3. 10% of my paycheck is automatically being put into savings to buy our own home.
  4. Make sure that I save $175 out of each weeks paycheck to pay for the rent and water.
Now for the goals. Some have asked what my goals were. Especially since I had a goal form that any of my readers can fill out as part their own personal finance/budget regiment. So here they are.
  1. In the next year I would like to start speaking publicly. Doing at least 25 gigs0+671 per year on what the Bible has to say about finances. In the next 1-2 years I would like to purchase a home for my wife and I (an estimated expense in this market of about $100,000). In the next 1-5 years I would like to purchase a convenience store and/or a car wash to help supplement my income and start my road to wealth before I am 50. A dream I have spoken of a few times, especially in the earlier days of the blog. I just need to find a way to make it actually happen.
--- go ahead share your thoughts with me now, my ears are open. I'm always eager to hear what you think. follow me on Twitter and facebook



No comments:

Post a Comment