Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Flashback Tue: Buyer Beware

The following article was originally published June 17, 2006 when this blog was relatively new.
While, I have not seen what Dave Ramsey's vision looks like, this is somewhat how I perceive a "Wolf in Sheep's Clothing."

Like a wolf in sheep's clothing ready to pounce on unsuspecting sheep, so the marketplace is ready to pounce on the unsuspecting consumer. Eager, to relieve you of your hard earned money.

From advertising to the salesman to product placement are all designed get you to spend more money.

Advertising: Repetitive advertising affects what we buy. Don't think so? Let's see...Where's the ______? (advertisement was in 1985---the lady died in 1987). I could go though a list of several more, but I think you get the idea, repetitive advertising affects all of us. If it didn't we couldn't finish these slogans and phrases. No matter how much we want to deny it, we still remember these slogans and phrases. It has a big affect on our shopping decisions.

For example, how many of you think generics (or store brands), are lesser qualty then the name brand? Why? Because, when the store brands first came out, Hunts and Heinz ran commercials showing how "rich and thick," they were while these store brands were "runny," What they failed to say is that, the generic ketchup was made at the same place, by them. I personally buy the store brand on most everything. I have a few things where, I admit, I insist on a particular name brand. However, recently one of those the store brand tasted more like my particular name brand.
For those of you that coupon, you might find it is cheaper to buy the store brands, then what ever you are planning to buy, even with your coupons.

Product Placement: Much research, has gone into the placement of display's or the barrel's of iced down Coca-Cola. They know where these things are just in the customers way and thus an annoyance, and where the most customers are going to be enticed to purchase the product.



---
go ahead share your thoughts with me now, my ears are open. I'm always eager to hear what you think.


follow me on Twitter and facebook



No comments:

Post a Comment