Thursday, August 30, 2007

My Dream


Despite my debts, I continue to dream of owning my own business. I wrote about a trip I took to small town near the Kansas-Nebraska border last weekend. Perhaps some of you missed it. Perhaps, the post didn't interest you that day.

This is something that will not die. Most all of us fantasize about owning our own business, but then the thoughts go away and thats the end of. For me, there is no question, that I have the heart of an entrepreneur, as I can not stop thinking about owning my own business.

So heavy is this on my thoughts, I even went to the Credit Union, where my Emergency Fund/Insurance Savings is to see about getting a loan to pay off all my small debts and the IRS and allow them to automatically deduct like $30/week from the savings to repay the loan. Since I have $50 direct deposited into this account every week I would have the funds for this, plus enough to pay my insurance premiums every quarter.

They however as soon as they pulled my credit didn't want to talk to me or to see my plan. The reason? Because my FICO is now at an all time low. According to Experian it was 535 and for them to do any type of loan, it must be at 550.

Oh, well. I still believe I can get the small debts paid off by the end of the year, Then next year, I can wake up the IRS and work on getting them paid off by the end of the year.

As for my dream, it is my hope that I can accomplish the dream with venture capital rather then loans anyway.

My dream is to own a chain of grocery stores, convenience stores and maybe even liquor stores.

3 comments:

  1. Here's a link about what venture capitalists look for which may help you plan in the future.
    http://www.allbusiness.com/business-finance/equity-funding-private-equity/454-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always thought a liqor store is a good business. The inventory is fairly non-perishable compared to groceries and fairly high value per unit space. It's relatively recession and weather proof, doesn't require special skills unless you are selling wine maybe. Hours are good for nightowls. Question is whether it is profitable. Small grocery stores are mostly a tough venture against supermarket competition.

    ReplyDelete