Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Frugality With Gas & Water

As I continue to catch up on my reading and posting this week, I see Tight-Fisted Miser is trying to save $45/month. He purposely and with malous had his gas turned off. He then began taking cold showers for the summer all because he refuses to pay the greedy gas company $45/month during the months when he doesn't have to heat his place.

I like the idea, however, I have a boarder, who would be pretty upset, if I told him he would have to take cold showers. With that in mind, I can perhaps cut my gas bill, by taking cold showers, while still having the gas on. Besides I occasionally use the stove, when the microwave isn't practical.

In addition, with no air conditioning in the house all those cold showers might just feel refreshing. Not to mention, the shorter showers that Tight-fisted Miser made mention of would save on the water bill as well.

Another way to got your shower shorter, that I read a few years back is to turn the water on long enough to get wet. Turn off the water. Lather up, then turn the water back on to wash off.

Might be worth a try putting both of these ideas together to see how much cheaper I can get these bills.

Well, I guess now is a good time to go get take my first cold shower in years.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, with a boarder turning the gas off isn't really an option. The cold showers actually aren't bad when it is so hot outside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever I finally build my house, I want to get one of those solar water heaters so that part would be free.

    ReplyDelete