Saturday, August 25, 2007

Good or Bad..I Looked At Buying A Store

I drove to the little tiny town of Wetmore, Kansas on Saturday. The goal? To look at reopening the towns only grocery store. I did have some problems with some of the information. However, for the right person it might work. It would take someone with the cash, or the ability to raise $100,000 in venture capital to get the store reopened.

The previous owner, who is in the middle of a divorce, walked away because of the marriage problems. He was the only employee and was retired military, so therefore he considered it to be a service to the town rather then a money making venture.

For me, it would have to be a money maker and I am just not sure I can do it. The other thing is if I bring in partners via venture capital, it would be even more difficult for me to make it work.


Since this store would basically have to be rebuilt, you would be talking $30,000 to buy a local building (a bargain compared to bigger towns), $10,000-$20,000 for fixtures (Shelving, coolers, etc) and then another $30,000 to get the initial stock. That's $80,000 and you haven't even opened the doors yet.

I have longed dream of owning my own business, and still would like to. However, is this the right one?

No comments:

Post a Comment