Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Giving To God VIA an ATM?


I seen this today on CNN, but when I went searching, all I found was older articles that I have heard of previously.

Easier giving is now a reality for church congregations across the country with the placement of an ATM in the church lobby. The giving kiosk is nicknamed the ATM for Jesus.

The inventor reasons, that no one carries cash or checkbooks any more, so this machine is the logical evolution, he explained in the report I heard on CNN.

"Years ago, people would bring animals and grain to the house of the lord as a tithe," Baker says. "Can you imagine the stir when they started bringing money?"

You can't get any cash from the machine. Instead it is set up so that you can only swipe your debit or credit card to make a donation. Although, you can also request a receipt and even chose whether or not you donation will be anonymous. In addition you can choose where to donate, IE: tithe, building fund, general fund, etc.

Personally, I don't know about this. It sounds to much like the mark of the beast to me. I mean the Bible teaches about a mark on our hand or forehead to pay for everything. While I don't believe an ATM is the mark, the pastor and businessman's comment about everyone using debit cards instead of cash, sounds like a comment pointing that way. I don't know, but it just makes me a little leery. What do you think?


***update: CNN video found***

sources:
ABC News (Oct. 2006)
Kooz News (July 5, 2007)
CNN Headline News (Aug 1, 2007)

4 comments:

  1. That is an old story. Sounds kind of silly using an ATM in a church to facilitate giving. But I have an open mind and in the spirit of being avant-garde I propose a slot machine in every church bathroom to boost church revenues. If ATM's increase tithes, BOY!; A slot machine would introduce a whole new dynamic to church growth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I don't think you need a receipt for your tithing. Just so you can help your taxes at the end of the year. Just don't think that was what Jesus had in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend to agree jamesmc. Last year, I wrote an article on this blog, stating the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha, I'm surprised it wasn't invented earlier. The church will always find ways to get money from people, LOL.

    ReplyDelete