Saturday, February 3, 2007

My Experience With Free Dental Care

As I reported previously "Kansas Mission of Mercy," was offering free dental care in Topeka yesterday and today (Saturday). I was able to get another manager to come in a little early so that I could leave an hour and a half early to go to this event and get some dental work done that needed. It was a good thing I did to to. I got in line about 5:45 am and got inside around 6:15. A short time later (around 6:30) I hear that they are turning people away, because they can't see anymore patients that day. Those turned away were told to try back on Saturday.
One lady next to me said she gad got there at 9:30 Thursday night, but got out of line and went set in her car, while her grand kids waited in line. The grand kids were finished by 9 am. I even heard one person was there as early as 1:30 Thursday afternoon. I on the other hand (and the lady who lost her place in line) were there all day. Since, I am a day sleeper, this was especially hard on me. While we waited we were given free breakfast and even free lunch. They diagnosed the areas to work on around 11:30, but I didn't even get numbed until around 4:30. In the end I left there shortly after 5 pm, with my broken tooth now gone, and my prescriptions, which was filled free at the makeshift pharmacy they had set up in the arena.
I ended up going to work, last night, with no sleep and when I finally hit my blanket this morning, I had been up nearly 38 hours. It is for that reason, that I am now just posting this. It was an experience, and I am very thankful, but don't look for me to travel to Garden City next year, when they set up there.
Oh, and the person that came the farthest, was a lady from Oklahoma, at least according to the morning paper.

2 comments:

  1. that's pretty rough. at least the wait was worth it in the end and you got the dental services that you need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is remarkable! I guess I should be glad I have dental insurance, but dentist scare the poop out of me!

    I was in the hospital for over a week last year because of bad dental work. And then I get a bill for $100,000!! Luckily I only have to pay $2,000, but still.....that is a lot of money!!

    I am so glad you got your dental work done and it turned out well.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete