Sunday, February 18, 2007

You Have to See this Recipe

OK, So a number of you are probably wondering what I am eating tonight. Well, it's a frugal recipe and something I have been planning for months. Bread pudding.

What I do is, since the recipe calls for stale bred, and since no one seems to like those heels in the loaf of bread is I store the heels from each loaf in my freezer until I have enough bread to make my bread pudding.

Stale bread (about 4 cups)
1 c. sugar
1 tbsp. cinnamon
3 1/4 - 4 c. milk
6 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
6 pats butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. raisins (opt.)

Break enough bread into small pieces to fill a 9"x13" baking dish (about 4 cups); sprinkle sugar and cinnamon over bread. In separate bowl mix milk, eggs, vanilla and salt. Sprinkle raisins over bread, then pour milk mixture over bread until they can be seen around bread. Place butter on top. Bake 1 hour at 375 degrees. Serves 12.

LEMON SAUCE:

1/2 c. sugar
2 tsp. cornstarch
Dash of salt

Mix gradually and add 1 cup water. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until thick and clear. Stir small amount hot mixture into 2 beaten egg yolks, return to hot mixture. Cook and stir 1 minute; remove from heat and add 2 teaspoons butter and 2 tablespoons lemon juice, pour over pudding.


Since I didn't have cornstarch, I used flour instead

Total Cost about $2 divided by 12 servings that breaks down to 17 cents per serving...pretty cheap meal...but full of sugar and carbohydrates.

No comments:

Post a Comment