Monday, June 30, 2008

What Lifestyle Changes Should I Make to Adjust to Rising Gas Prices

Wow! I am sure, everyone reading this article, has already heard in the news that economist Benjamin Tal, is predicting $7 a gallon gas within 2-years.
A new forecast calls for gasoline prices to hit $7 (U.S.) a gallon in the next two years and oil to soar to $200 a barrel by 2010.

The report by CIBC World Markets also predicts there will be 10 million fewer cars on the road in the United States by 2012.
- GlobeAndMail.com
I for one, with increasing frequency, have been thinking about how I can reduce my time behind the steering wheel. Perhaps, I could use my bicycle more. It certainly would be the cheapest option, but I have been thinking more along the lines, of purchasing a scooter (moped). With a moped, I could get everywhere in Topeka, as quickly as I could in my car, without using the amount of gas, that my car uses.
Economist Benjamin Tal, who co-authored the report with Mr. Rubin, said Canadians can expect to pay about $1.85 to $2.00 per litre of gas at the pumps by 2010.

Mr. Tal also expects the numbers of Canadian vehicles on the road to drop by 700,000 by 2012 – much less than the 10 million predicted in the U.S.

“We don't have the same story in the sense that most low income Canadians have better access to public transportation,” he said, referring to the report's U.S. calculations that estimates that about half the cars coming off the road will be from Americans who make less than $25,000.

- GlobeAndMail.com


While, I currently make less then $25,000, I don't plan on getting rid of my car completely. Perhaps, as I mentioned previously, I would find other means of transportation. I would love to use the Topeka Transit, however, the cities bus service, is severely lacking. Unless you are one the state (our largest employer in the the city), city or county government employee, the bus service really doesn't offer service for you. The bus service here operates from 6am-6pm. If you are a high school kid working at the mall until 9pm, or a shift worker, or otherwise working later then 5pm, then there is no realistic public transportation for you.

With that in mind, I again turn my thoughts back to the idea of a moped. I haven't been on a moped since my days in college, but it seems it is the most economical option, for local transportation. I then would have my car, for longer trips or travel in poorer weather conditions. Like cold weather. Though, I remember, driving that old moped, back in the early 90's, in cold weather and even on ice, trying to get to work.

So, what about you? What are your thoughts? How, have you been thinking of getting around? How do you plan on cutting your gas consumption?
---
go ahead share your thoughts with me now.

Get Paid to Sign Up, Refer Others, Read E-Mail, Complete Offers, and More!

3 comments:

  1. Let me think, you're turning 40 and you want a scooter. Huh? Doesn't this sound familiar? The only "lifestyle change" I would recommend would be to ramp up the quest for a suitable mate posthaste. I can't imagine anything sadder than not having a mate and wanting one and getting on in years lived on this earth. I looked at your photo on your resume and it looks suspiciously similar to a high school senior photo. Also you might want to change the resume date to something other than year 2037. Not getting much action on it, I'll bet. Did you give up your job search or are you sticking with the known?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin, in my honest opinion, I would forget the moped idea if you are retaining your car, or your expenses will increase with the cost of the moped itself, the insurance, plus your car payment and car insurance...I would suggest keeping a log of how often you drive your car and where, see where you can consolidate errands/work trips and save from that angle instead. Otherwise you are still paying for a car with a sunk cost of not using it (sorry for accounting lingo)

    Mzmuny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! We all need to drive so we will all have to adjust! I already am at bare bones with my budget, so I imagine I will have to pick up a third part time job to just pay for the increase in gas. My regular job pays all my bills, but food (but with only $30 a week for gas) my part time job buys our food, so I imagine another job will pay for gas if it goes to about $7 a gallon.
    I may carpool to church, but that is about all we can do. We have very limited public transportation as well. My son is at doctor's once a week, we have to drive there. Plus work, food shopping, etc.
    I could not get a scooter as I have two kids, but it sounds like fun. Too bad we are going for frugal, not fun.

    ReplyDelete