Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I Have been Sold

Today, as I was reading the local morning paper, I seen a story about the place I work. Of course, I already knew about it, and everyone had been talking about it with our customers. However, now it is in the paper and everyone knows.

So, what is it? Well! My store has been sold, and will be split off from the rest of my current company.

The owners of Auburn Apple Market have agreed to purchase Falley's Market at 1945 S.W. Gage and convert it to an Apple Market.

CBC Inc., owned by Fred Biesemeyer and Kent Conwell, will take over Falley's Market from Homeland Stores on July 13 and rename it Seabrook Apple Market, Conwell said.



CBC Inc. owns Auburn Apple Market and Beany's Gas Depot in Auburn, Holton Country Mart in Holton and Oskaloosa Thriftway in Oskaloosa.

Conwell said his father used to own C&W Market at 4310 S.W. 21st in the Seabrook neighborhood. The purchase of Falley's will allow Conwell to get back into the neighborhood.

"This is an opportunity for us to get back in Topeka," he said. "Our current three stores are outside of Topeka, but our company is based in Topeka."
- Topeka Capital Journal



The new owners say they expect to retain an estimated 25-35 employees. Since there are only 29 employees, that would fit right in line with the other owner saying that as long as they are doing their job, he doesn't plan to get rid of anyone.

"This is an opportunity for us to get back in Topeka," he said. "Our current three stores are outside of Topeka, but our company is based in Topeka."

Conwell said inventory will be conducted July 13 by an outside contractor. Once that is finished, the sale of the store will be completed.

Conwell estimated Seabrook Apple Market would keep about 25 to 35 employees.

"It's a niche market," he said. "The Seabrook community is like its own neighborhood."
- Topeka Capital Journal


So beginning on my birthday (July 13) I will be working for a new employer. Some things that I know, is that the payday will be changing from the current Thursday to Tuesday. I am not sure which Tuesday, the first payday will fall on, but that will come with time.

I know, that currently they don't have direct deposit, but that they are working on adding that possibility to continue when they take us over. If they don't have direct deposit, I will just take my paycheck to the credit union by hand.

One thing, I have heard is that he matches up to 3% on the 401-K. Whether, that is fact or not I am not sure.

Perhaps, these and other questions will be answered Monday June 16, when the new owners stop in to meet with all the employees.At any rate, I am looking forward to the new changes at work.

---
go ahead share your thoughts with me now.

Get Paid to Sign Up, Refer Others, Read E-Mail, Complete Offers, and More!

5 comments:

  1. Looks like you are taking a very positive view of the change on ownership. This is much better than the normal nervousness we usually read about.

    All the best under the new ownership.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe they don't provide direct deposit...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a company change owners once and it only turned for the worse. As long as they treat you like humans, it doesn't sound like a bad gig!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous -
    They are a family run operation and their stores are in small rural towns. They are looking into it, but if we return to nothing but paper checks, It will be fine. It just means that I will have to run to the nearest credit union location to make the deposit. And with the branch that just opened downtown, I am closer then ever to my main credit union.

    ReplyDelete
  5. father -
    there was some apprehension at first, but it has pretty much calmed down as I and the new manager assured people everything will be OK.

    Tom -
    That is corporate. This time we are leaving the big corporate owners and returning to the small mom and pop owners. The thing about mom and pops they tend to care about their employees more and also their customers.

    ReplyDelete