Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Readers Question: 5 best personal finance books

Anonymous wanted to know,

What are your 5 best personal finance book?


Since, anonymous didn't leave a name, website or anyway to contact them, they couldn't win the workbook, but I thought the question was worth discussing.
In fact, the question was perhaps a result of a post that Saving Advice, recently did:
Books For Every Level of Financial Acumen. Jennifer Derrick listed 21 books for every level of financial knowledge.

With that in mind, I’ve put together my list of the best books for every level of financial knowledge. None of these are too obscure or old, so your local or college library is likely to have them or be able to get them through interlibrary loan. Failing that, you can probably find some of them at used bookstores. They’re also all available through Amazon.com, and some used copies are available from other sellers.


Some of her books, without question, would be in my top 5. However, are all of them? Well, lets take a look at the books I would list as my Top 5.


  • 5. Miserly Moms: Living on One Income in a Two Income Economy by Jonni McCoy.

  • One of the earliest personal-finance books that I read. This is a book that didn't make it on Jennifer's list. However, it is a book well worth the reading. Especially, if you want to learn to more frugal, so that you can learn to make do on less.

  • 4. Good Debt, Bad debt: Knowing the Difference Can Save Your Financial Life by Jon Hanson.

  • Another book, not Jennifer's list, but a book that I reviewed last year on this blog.
    I am a loyal Dave Ramsey fan, who says that there is no such thing as "good debt." Still though, I have heard Dave say that if you do get a mortgage it is to be for 15-years or less. So with that in my mind I wanted to find out what Mr. Hanson called "good debt." As he sees it, "good debt" is debt that eventually increases your net worth.


  • 3. The World's Easiest Guide to Finances by Larry Burkett.

  • Another book, that was one of the earliest books that I read. Although much more recently. I got this book, when I was on a spree of buying business/finance books on Ebay. It is obvious that it would be a book for the financial novice. I simply talks about Debt Reduction, Budgets, Insurance, Retirement, Investment and virtually all aspects of personal finance.

  • 2. You’re Broke Because You Want to Be: How to Stop Getting By and Start Getting Ahead, by Larry Winget.

  • I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Understandably, Jennifer lists this book as one for the financial novice. It is simple to understand, and is straight talking.

    . Larry is very no nonsense and a master of tough love. This book is a basic introduction to getting out of debt, but it will tear down every excuse you can think of and show you that it’s your choices that are making you broke. Warning: He is harsh (but funny), so if you get upset about that, maybe you should pass on this one.


  • 1. The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness, by Dave Ramsey.

  • This is a book that Jennifer listed as a book for the financial novice.

    I don’t always agree 100% with what Dave teaches, but there’s no denying that he is a great motivator and this book will get you fired up about getting out of debt and establishing a financial plan.

    Not only will his books get you fired up, but so will his Live Events as well as his CD's and DVD's. There is no question, that This book is the number 1 personal finance book in my financial library.

    ---
    go ahead share your thoughts with me now.

    Get Paid to Sign Up, Refer Others, Read E-Mail, Complete Offers, and More!

    2 comments:

    1. Debt Proof living by Mary Hunt is another book worth reading. She is a Christian who got into debt (lots) and got out (over a long process.) So she has been there. I really use many of her ideas and am doing great (all to the glory of God.) -Becky

      ReplyDelete
    2. God doesn't care about money. What glory are you talking about???

      ReplyDelete