Thursday, January 31, 2008

Contacts Via Monster

I recently was contacted by an insurance company, who had viewed my resume. They wanted to offer me a chance to apply with them. Saying my "first year earnings, advances and bonuses can range from $45,000 to $75,000 for new representatives."

At first thought, I was like, wow, I could pay off all my debts (including the IRS and car) in 7 months with that kind of pay. Then, I did some research on the company and found that they have a lot of negative comments made against them and their job offerings.

Most of the complaints deal with unpaid training period of 2-4 weeks. Not to mention most of the new representatives quiting within 6 months, having only made $2,000.

I am not sure that all the complaints are completely valid, but I do know working completely on commission is hard work. I have done it. I was a telemarketer for a now defunct company known as Capital Carpet Systems. This company, paid their telemarketers (at the time) no base wage. The commission was $10 per appointment set, when the job was actually completed. At the time minimum wage was $3.45. As a bright-eyed go getter in my early 20's at the time, I was promised I could easily earn $50/day. Well as time went buy over the 3-4 months I was there, I became the one who got all the call backs, as others quit. I became the top seller in the room and I was working both shifts from 9 am-9 pm. Yet, I was only earning $50/week.

I stuck it out, until March, when I made all the "spring callbacks," for the spring cleaning. Once I had made all the callbacks, I I quite without notice. The only job, that I ever quit without notice. The only nice thing, is that because I didn't get paid until the job was actually completed, I was able to get paychecks for several weeks after I quit.

In April of that same year, I was hired for the first time by the company that I currently work for. I worked for them 5-years, before moving to Chicago for 2-years. Upon returning to Kansas, I worked for another grocery company for 2-years, then returned to my company company after they sold to Associated Wholesale Grocers. They then merged us with another grocery company they also owned 2-years ago. All-in-all, I have been with the company since 1999. Now piece by piece they are selling off the Kansas stores. Even though, we are told it's business as usual in the remaining stores, I am nervous and worried I won't have the opportunities to move on up.

That is why, I posted the resume on Monster.com. Perhaps, I should also look at careerbuilder.com to. In addition, I placed an application with a bank that wasn't listed on monster.com. I am just hopeful, that future hits on my Monster resume will be hourly or salaried jobs. Even though, I would love to try insurance sales, I am not in a position financially to live on nothing while I am building my sales commissions to a point that I could live on.



***Update, I was just contacted by a 2nd insurance company via Monster.com

---
go ahead share your thoughts with me now.



2 comments:

  1. FYI - when I was out of work a few years back and had my resume on Monster and Career Builder I got TONS of insurance job offers, so many that I considered them SPAM.....I think they just send them out to everyone on there in hopes of getting a nibble!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i get those pitches. they need people. but that doesn't mean the job is right for you. when i search for jobs, i have to say "no" about ten times more than i get to say "yes". that's because most jobs aren't for me.

    ReplyDelete