Tuesday, January 8, 2008

You're Broke Because You Want To Be


I recently finished reading, "You're Broke Because You Want to Be: How to Stop Getting By and Start Getting Ahead," a new book by Larry Winget. Winget, whose other books include "It's Called Work For A Reason," and "Shut Up, Stop Whining & Get A Life." He is probably best known as the star of A & E's "Big Spender. Winget is sometimes called the the pitbull of personal development, for his harsh, abrasive, in-your-face style towards personal finance.

Perhaps it is important to say, that in the introduction to his new book he makes a clarification between broke and poor.

Poor is a condition I find very sad. Sad, yet inevitable. Jesus Said, "The poor will be with you always." And they will....I didn't write this book for the poor people of the world. I know it is going to take a lot more than a book to help truly poor people....Broke is NOT a condition like being poor. Broke is a situation you find yourself in because you are either under earning or overspending. I can't fix poor, though I would love to. I'm good, but I'm not that good. I can fix broke....I will show you how, step by step.

I wrote this book for the average person who has a job, makes a living, and still can't seem to get ahead.


He points out what I have tried to say in this blog numerous times (even about myself). We may say we want one thing, but our actions contradict those words. Until we actually decide to make sacrifices and to actually but some real action behind our words, we are just talk. The idea that we must have all our fun now, without planning for our future is a great example of not putting our words into action.

Now before you get the wrong idea, this isn't positive thinking, instead, it is a nose to the grindstone, no excuses accepted and get it done. Exactly what I have been trying to say and encourage readers of my blogs to do.

The book was a hard-hitting no-holds-barred read. He says what needs to be said and doesn't except any excuses.

I quickly found myself described in several spots, but I didn't let myself be offended. Instead, I wanted to learn. I found the book hard to put down and eagerly filled out the workbook sections in each chapter. Admittedly, I could do without some of the language he used in the book, but it wasn't so over used that it was too much of a problem.

It is a book I would strongly encourage anybody who really wants to get out of debt to read. It will be an invaluable tool to your financial life and peace of mind.

I know, that he will be someone that I will be quoting as often as I do Dave Ramsey and John Cummuta.



---
go ahead share your thoughts with me now.

4 comments:

  1. Oooh, sounds very interesting. I will definately be reading this book to find out more. Peolpe who live a broke life due to their financial choices definately need a realistic description of why they find themselves in that situatuion and how to get themselves out. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this guy's no nonsense attitude! I'm happy to hear you will be quoting from him from time to time.

    Another reviewer in blogland pointed out that, unfortunately, a lot of the people who need the book most won't read it - partially because of the aggressive tone.

    However, if you keep on doing what you've always done, you can hardly be surprised nothing changes.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm never sure if helping people improve their grammar and expressions will offend, but it's meant to be helpful, so here goes...

    It's not "no holes bared" but "no-holds-barred" ie. anything goes.

    It's not "it was to much of a problem." but "it was too much of a problem." (This might have just been a typo).

    Best wishes with your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks enough wealth. Those areas are corrected.

    ReplyDelete