Thursday, January 10, 2008

Insurance Review

Over the last few weeks I have been reviewing my insurance coverage. I would like to find a cheaper insurance rate, without sacrificing my insurance coverage. Currently I pay $843.55 annually for auto insurance and $488.82 annually for home owners insurance. All with $500 deductible.


So in this latest round of reviews, I wanted to find out if I could find a company that that would provide the same coverage that I currently have for lower premiums. Well I started with Geico. Since they advertise that they are so much cheaper then anyone else, it made since (to me) to start with them.

Well they weren't the cheapest in my case. In fact their auto policy would cost me $972.80 annually. Since they don't actually write homeowners themselves, they don't offer a bundled discount. They do sell homeowners trough two companies. Travelers is the one that they did price comparisons on me. The quoted premium was $1,163 annually. Suffice to say, I told Geico thanks but no thanks.

That brings us to today, when I visited with Brooke at an American Family here in Topeka. I went to the office, taking my declaration pages with me. After working up a quote that was similar to mine they gave me a quote of $739 semi-annually ($1478 annually) for the auto and likewise their homeowners quote was more expensive as well. As a result I will not go with them either. For now, I will remain with Farm Bureau. I will be checking one more place, an independent agent and see if they can find me a cheaper premium while providing me the same protection.


---
go ahead share your thoughts with me now.

5 comments:

  1. I checked into cheaper rates and was given larger quotes by a few companies. I found out that some now go by my credit score. I have bad credit yes, but have never had a car accident and only 1 speeding ticket ever. Why should my insurance be higher? Another reason to get my credit back to good I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can pay to shop around, but just be careful, because I think they pull a credit check every time you get a quote. You could take a bit of a hit on your credit score.
    I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cheapest I have found for bundled here in St. Louis is Hawkeye-Security.

    They do business in Topeka. Here's the contact info. It might be worth a shot.

    BRIER PAYNE MEADE INSURANCE IN
    5835 SW 29TH ST., STE 101
    TOPEKA, KS 66614 Phone: (785) 233-1717
    Fax: (785) 233-2679


    I pay $1099 a year for 2 new vehicles, $500 deductibles and $823 a year on a $255K house, $500 deductible which includes earthquake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard Progressive can give a comptetive insurance rate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to admit that I'm sticking with AAA (not because they're the cheapest)...great customer service and hassle free claims!

    ReplyDelete