Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The scoop behind the rumors

Some of the rumors that had been circulating around my company has proven to be true. Of course, like most of these type of rumors the truth is not as bad as the rumors.

Here is what has been shaking around my company:
  • Dillon's (aka Kroger's)is acquiring 2 of the four Price Chopper's in Topeka. The 2 Falley's (of which I work) has not been affected.

  • In addition Dillon's is also acquiring the 3 Homeland Stores in Wichita. Homeland is the parent company in the retail division of Associated Wholesale Grocery (AWG). Homeland in turn is a wholly owned subsidery of AWG.

  • Homeland is buying United Foods in Oklahoma. The United Stores will retain, the United banner as they become part of the Homeland organization.


  • Associated Wholesale Grocers Inc. has agreed to buy four Dillons grocery stores in Shawnee and Olathe and Pleasant Hill, Mo., for an undisclosed price.

    The stores will be passed to independent retailers and supplied by Associated Wholesale in a deal expected to be completed by mid-February, according to a news release.

    Kansas City-based Cosentinos Food Stores said it would take over the locations at 22210 W. 66th St., Shawnee, and 2101 N. Missouri 7, Pleasant Hill, and convert them to Price Choppers.

    So there is the turmoil. My concern and that of many of my co-workers and employees is that with fewer stores in Topeka and Kansas for that matter, our opportunities for advancement are out the window. Because of those facts and the uncertainty of our future under our current ownership, a number of us have posted our resumes online at sites like Monster.com. This is no secret either. With me being one of the longest serving members and others having giving our life to the company, we feel betrayed by the company that has fed us these past few years.

    If I could find the investors to back me, I would happily lead a team to buy some of the remaining stores and ensure the jobs will still be available. Not to mention continue to serve neighborhoods with large elderly and pedestrian traffic.

    ---
    go ahead share your thoughts with me now.



  • 2 comments:

    1. Kevin: I can't believe you've stuck with a company this long for the pay you've received - and now this! One reader wrote recently that you make less than a high school drop-out. I think this is true and you should seriously consider moving to a different career.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thanks Edie -

      I am looking and have already put out a few applications, as I posted in the previous post on this subject.


      To the spammer(s) -
      Your comments will be deleted. I don't tolerate spam comments.

      ReplyDelete