Friday, February 1, 2008

It's Going, Going, It's Gone


The batter stepped up to the plate. The pitcher winds up and throws a Providian Credit Card payment. The batter takes his swing and makes connection with the ball. As the credit card payment with a 31.74% interest rate sails over the pitchers head and out of the ballpark.

After a December payment had reduced this debt to $395, January interest charges brought this debt back up to $405.83. Now with help of the $147 received from Google AdSense this month the debt was brought down to a big fat $32. Because, some of my other bills, and unplanned spending to get a yard sign and sweatshirt for my Presidential candidate, I only sent $130 (1/29/08) off to Providian.

Finally, I went yesterday and withdrew $32 from my small emergency savings account. Today I sent the final payment of $32. Now I will have to see, if they send me another bill with additional interest charges on it. Hopefully they wont, but we shall see.

With one less debt to worry about, I can now get my home improvement (Amerifirst), Fingerhut and the IRS eliminated. My plan is to try to somehow get AmeriFirst and Fingerhut paid off by the end of March. Not sure how I will pull it off, but that is my hope. I am so pumped though.
I am eager to get these debts paid by April, though I would really like to be completely debt-free by then to. We will see what happens. Of course, I need to get an emergency savings built and kept to.

---
go ahead share your thoughts with me now.

8 comments:

  1. Awesome job! Smart move moving that small amount of savings to knock out the high-interest debt. You will probably get one final bill from them for the interest that accrued since your last statement closing date and the day you paid it off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah for you Kevin...one more snake that has bitten the dust! I've never asked you, but how in the world did you ever get owing the IRS tht much anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks frugal, Jon and edie.


    Edie -
    It stems back to 2002, when I received some Altell stock, from the liquidation of another company stock that I had inherited in 1996.

    I turned around and sold that Altell stock, to pay down my debt. Well, I just made things worse, because I didn't plan for the capital gains tax.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go, Kevin. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure with your limited income and debt load, that making a contribution/purchase to a presidential campaign was a wise move. But, congrats on payin ghtat off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheryl -

    especially, now with the uncertainty at work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thats great to have that debt paid off, good on you! heres to the next one.

    ReplyDelete