Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Frugal Tip: Walk or Bicycle instead of Driving

Earlier this year, I started posting a more in depth look at each of the frugal tips. Over the next few weeks I will publish the frugal tips that I have collected. Please note that not every tip will work for everyone. Chose as many of the tips that will work with you and your family and start implementing them. Today we will proceed with Tip #21 walk or bicycle to church or work.

When I lived in Topeka, I walked the 3 blocks to church rather then driving (I usually had to park 2 blocks away anyway). I often did the same thing or bicycle to neighborhood meetings. Now that I am in Austin (and in a city the is suppose to much more bicycle friendly) I live 6 miles from church, So this is now impracticable (Only a highway to get to church, even the access road cuts off and then restarts when it comes to another highway). Although, I am close enough that I could bicycle to work. I am going to have to get my tires aired up, and figure out where I can lock my bike at work, so it will be safe.

The Frugal Cyclist says:
Ditch Your Car and Save Money: Do you realize how much it costs every year to own a car? Did you know more and more people are getting by without a car? When factoring in other costs, such as car payments, maintenance, and gas, AAA found that the average annual cost to own and operate a sedan is $8,487 . That comes out to $707 a month.
- Frugal Cyclist

According to the League of American Bicyclists (LAB), more than half of the U.S. population lives within 5 miles of work. Considering how difficult it is for us to resist that piece of desert, we should be all over that. Even if we haven’t ridden a bicycle since we were a little tyke, "you never forget how to do it." So why don't we all get out the bike, air up the tires and ride to work? I think I am going to figure out where I can lock my bike up at work, so that I can do this very thing. That and figure out where to ride my bike in the area where the bike lane and sidewalk ends.
No, I am not making excuses, just thinking out loud. Figuring out how it can be done, so that others reading this might not make the same excuse. For one, I can go through the shopping centers parking lots when I reach those areas. That only leaves about 25 feet to figure a way. In those areas, I can surely use the access road to make my way to where I need to go.


Reminder: May is National Bike Month, May 16-20 is Bike to Work Week, and May 20 is Bike to Work Day.

---
go ahead share your thoughts with me now, my ears are open. I'm always eager to hear what you think.


follow me on Twitter and facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment