Friday, February 11, 2011

Austin 6 Months Later

Six months ago I moved to Austin with my wife. We came here in search of a better life, warmer winters and to be closer to my wife's son. Recently HS asked,
tell us how you are liking Austin and how job search is going etc!

We are loving Austin, although part of coming here was to escape the cold temps and snow/ice in Kansas. That for the most part has happened, although last Friday we did get an inch of snow. Which down here was enough to close the City and County governments down. Not to mention all the schools and several private businesses. That snow ended a cold streak that lasted an 70 hours. Seventy hours that never got above freezing. Then last night/this morning the low dipped into the teens (of course today's high is to be 65). It can go several winters and never get that cold, and this month it has already dipped into the teens 3 times. Still overall Austin is absolutely wonderful. A fantastic place to live.








Book and Speaking

Since arriving here I have actually got started on the budgeting workbook, that I have wanted to get started so many times before, but never did. Part of the reason, is because I have been speaking at church and teaching some Biblical principles to budgeting and getting out of debt. I even created my own version of the "Baby Steps" that Dave Ramsey teaches. Mine however, are even smaller steps that I call Wisdom steps. Eleven steps in total, each have scripture verses tied with it to help bring about that Biblical backing that I want to have in my budgeting guide. Look foor the "Wisdom Steps" to be posted on PrinceOfThrift.com this weekend or early next week.







Current Part Time Job

I love my part-time job. It is the best company to work for ever. Despite it having no affordable insurance. On the last paycheck though I only worked about 15 hours per week. This past week (end tomorrow) I had 28 hours on the schedule. I really need at least 20 hours each week just to pay the rent out of my paycheck. I need more then that to pay for insurance, savings and such.







Career Search

It is still going. If my current part-time job would give me the 35+ hours I would be happy there I think. I really can't say much else, for obvious reasons. When I have something more to report, I will be happy to let all the readers know.







Schooling

Schooling is another thing I have considered. I believe education to be very important. I have considered becoming a solicitor, accountant or perhaps a financial counselor. The biggest problem is I am still new to Texas and I need to live here a year before I can get instate tuition rates.

---
go ahead share your thoughts with me now, my ears are open. I'm always eager to hear what you think.


follow me on Twitter and facebook



No comments:

Post a Comment