Tuesday, October 3, 2006

Whats Your Opinion Of PayPerPost?


I would like to know what your opinion is of PayPerPost way to advertise on blogs?
PayPerPost was launched only three months ago, and I began testing the service about a month ago. this week PayPerPost, held a contest, with puzzle peices that annouced that they had secured a $3 million round of financing led by Inflexion Partners and with participation from Villiage Ventures and Draper Fisher Jurvetson. Dan Rua from Inflexion and Michael Barach from Villiage Ventures will take board seats. Josh Stein from Draper Fisher Jurvetson will become a board observer.
Techcrunch reported that Ted Maurphy
said his business is doing quite well in spite of (or possibly due to) all of the controversy raised by paying off bloggers to write about certain products. And Josh Stein at DFJ seems excited about the potential profitability of the company while downplaying the ethical issues raised by this and other blogs - the market will sort things out, he says.

Something the general public may not realize is that they even have a community blog at blog.payperpost.com, which I encourage everyone to read and see what other PayPerPost users are saying.
While, I personaly would rather just post articles that I am 100% interested in and believe you to be to, the reality is that this is a personal finance blog and most of my readers are personal finance bloggers. As such, I and most of the readers are striving to get debt-free within a few months to a few years. In order to do this we must bring in any additional revenues as possible. For me I need to get about $2600-$2700 paid off by December 31st. Then I have another $14,000 dollars that must be paid off within 2 years.
With that reality, I will have occasional PayPerPost (as well as Blogsvertise) posts, however, I will be very picky. Other bloggers may not be as picky as I am. I however, want to take into account my readers interest, not to mention my strict adherance to Dave Ramsey's teachings, that make it a problem for me to accept any ads that promote taking out loans.
Now, I would like to hear what you all think. Techcrunch's article reposrted that the first time they wrote about PayPerPost, many of it's readers were opposed to the concept, however the responses the their most recent article is more supportive. So again, I ask, what do you think?

2 comments:

  1. If the payperpost blogger is truely sharing their opinon on a product or service, then I see value in it as a reader. I can see if the product is worth me buying, or if the product is a scam. I can see that as a personal finance piece as that blogger saved me the trouble with it or verified that it really works. That is the hardest how do you know if the product really works? Still one should not purchase a product unless it is useful for them and not just adding debt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have any opinion of it as a general rule, but in my particular instance I've found it to not be worth the trade-off. I was doing PayPerPost until two of my readers told me that they felt it detracted from the quality and content of the blog. I stopped after that.

    ReplyDelete