Sunday, October 15, 2006

Dream Home Improvement Project



I recently received an email in which I was asked,

Please talk about your dream home improvement project. If someone else were footing the bill, what would you have done?


It got me to thinking, because there are several areas of my house that are still a work in progress. Over the last 7 years since I bought this bungelow, I have spent in excess of $30,000 to fix it up (and I only paid $10,000 to buy it). So far I have put a new roof on both the shed and the house, updated the electricity and plumbing to meet current codes. Not to mention paint the exterior of both buidings, new vinyl in the kitchen, painting the kitchen, living, dinning and both bedrooms. I didn't even mention the remodel of the shed after an arsonist set it on fire earlier this year.

I still have to finish redoing the bathroom, the wood floors in the dinning room and yes I would like new cabinets and counter tops in the kitchen, not to mention electricity out in the shed, so that I can use that as a workshop. Oh and the room I want to put in the basement.

So with all these projects, how do I pick one? I went to a home improvement site and looked around. After which, I decided to answer this readers question, with what is probably the most pressing home improvement project that I have on the burners. That is my bathroom. A few years back, the wall in the shower rotted out and I was forced to replace the shower. However, I have not had the funds to finish the bathroom. Although, with the help of some guys from church, I finally did get the broken sink fixed, as well as the lighting issues. The bathroom still needs to be tiled, ceiling painted, new toliet, and new vinyl floors. I already have most of the wall tiles thanks to freecycle.org, but lack the know how to put them up as well as the funds to hire someone. If I could find someone willing to help me as well as teach me that would be awesome. I also need to get the broken exhaust fan replaced as it has rusted away over the years. My dream toliet would be the new gerber ultra flush, which supposedly won't clog ever. Finally, it would be time to put down the brand new vinyl flooring and my bathroom would finally be done, so I can move on to the next project. Which probably be building the secure room in the unfinished basement.

No comments:

Post a Comment