Monday, October 9, 2006

Dave Ramsey Believes In The Honor System: Do You Have The Integrity?


As I was surfing the world of PF blogs today, I came accross a post made by MoneyDummy. In which she discusses her use of a credit card on Dave Ramsey's website despite Dave well known desdaine for those cards. She claims she didn't know, yet she admits in her subsequent comments, that the only 2 payment methods offered in the drop down menu were "debit card" and "bank draft."
Yes. At the checkout window, he only has debit card options. Theres a hyperlink to a note which says that he prefers not to accept credit cards. I dont know whether its a CYA move or not. *Grin*

The other option that he DOES offer is a bank-draft: as in, the customer gives Lampo his or her bank account number so that they can draw money directly from it. While my impulse in response to that idea is *snort/choke/laugh*, I will try to be more respectful and simply state mildly that I personally am not comfortable with that form of purchasing.

However, I am getting ahead of myself. I haven't even told you what she intially said. In her intial comments, she had this to say,

I just heard Dave Ramsey discussing the fact that his website doesnt take credit cards. I wonder if he really believes this, or if its like those doors that say, Emergency exit. Alarm will sound, when in fact you can slip silently through that door without causing anyone to blink.

Point is, I didnt notice that the check-out cart said debit cards only, so I generated a Citi virtual account number, popped that sucker in, and checked out without a hitch. Two weeks later the books showed up at my door, the charge showed up in Quicken, I paid it off, and it was a done deal.

hmm, she was ordering from Dave Ramsey's website, and was not aware that Dave preached against the use of credit? Then, when she didn't see credit, offered as an option for payment, he had purpously check it out and see if she could use a credit card any way.
When I pointed out that Dave Ramsey says plainly on his website that he does not take cedit cards, why and even gave her the url:

http://www.daveramsey.com/etc/cms/debit_card_policy_32.htmlc

We understand what is running through your mind right now.

I cant believe Dave Ramsey is accepting credit cards! This cant be true! Hes sold out on his principles! But before you shave your head and run outside on your front lawn screaming, The world is coming to an end, save yourself! let’s clear up a few things:

Number 1 - We are NOT accepting credit cards! Never have and never will. I mean, come on, do you listen to the radio show at all? Have you ever heard of a plasectomy? Please understand that accepting credit cards is something that will NEVER happen as long as Dave is still alive (and even forever after that!)

Number 2 - We are accepting DEBIT cards. We know that some people will go nuts when they hear that, but one factor is being overlooked. Debit cards do not work unless there is CASH available.

Number 3 - It was time for us to align our company policy with the advice we give our listeners. Dave recommends the use of debit cards for several items such as, car rentals, hotel reservations, and internet purchases. Dave personally carries and uses debit cards for online and phone transactions. One day we realized, Hey, we are telling people that its okay to use debit cards for purchases, but were not allowing people to do that with us.

So dont worry! The Titanic is not rising, the sky is not falling and Ed McMahon is still not coming to your front door. We understand that some people will get upset over this decision. We also understand that some people will say we are selling out. However, all we are doing is simply aligning ourselves with the advice we give America.

DEBIT means CASH. CREDIT means CREDIT - and honey, we dont do that around here!

  • The Lampo Group, Inc. and Dave Ramsey recognize that the Visa and MasterCard virtual monopoly on the debit card industries prohibits merchants from only taking debit cards. As such, it is impossible for us to ensure that every order has complied with our debit card policy. We trust that all of our customers hold EXCEEDINGLY high levels of INTEGRITY and maintain EXTRAORDINARILY high standards of TRUTH and HONESTY. Basically, anyone ordering from us who does not follow this policy is a shady and dishonest character. Dont put yourself in this group. Youre better than that. Stick to our policy, NO CREDIT CARDS, and make us all happy.


  • she had this to say in reply,

    Prince:

    Thank you for bringing my attention to Ramseys vehement statement on using credit cards on his website. Ive never seen it before. Ive never bumped into it before. Never, in all the time Ive spent on DR s website have I seen this hyperlinked anywhere. I have to admit that I wonder why he doesnt make it more prominent. Instead, he hyperlinks to a much more mild statement which says that they PREFER that their customers not use credit cards.


    I find this hard to believe, because I seen it the first time I was ever on the website, and then had to go hunt it up when this discussion came up. The link is on the front page, under the heading "Policies & Info" with the link title of "Debit Card policy." On the page(s) for the online store, the same link title is located under thge heading "StoreFAQ".

    Anyone that listens to Dave Ramsey for 5 minutes (or reads about him), knows that he does not do credit cards. While, I wonder where Ramsey gets the idea that there is no way possible to insure 100% compliance to the debit card only policy (Aldi takes debit and refuses to accept credit), it should have been clear to MoneyDummy, that credit cards were not accepted even though it is just the honor system.

    7 comments:

    1. You're misrepresenting me. I KNOW that he doesn't like credit cards, and I never claimed not to. What I did NOT know was that he considered it a matter of honor, rather than his own personal preference.

      I have tried to behave with grace, dignity, and intelligence in the face of your unexpected attack. I have tried to believe the best about you, taking the time to read your blog and learn more about you so that I could respect your perspective and values and understand where you're coming from. I have not simply written you off as a judgemental zealot, nor have I mocked you, derrided you, questioned your motives, or called you names. I have given you the benefit of the doubt and treated you with respect. I hope you will consider reciprocating.

      I do not want this to evolve into a petty Internet squabble, so this will be the last I say on the topic.

      I remain yours in congeniality,

      MoneyDummy

      ReplyDelete
    2. Unfortunately, debit cards carry worse theft liability terms than credit cards. This is true no matter whether a PIN is used... if it's a debit card, it's riskier. I'm working out how to deal with this. Primarily I think I'll just have a low balance in my debit account, but I'd prefer to claim the most favorable liability protection.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Anonymous -
      That is a common miscon. Since they have the visa or credit card logo on them, they are afforded the same protections as a credit card.

      A few months ago, as I wrote about in this blog, I had charges that were not created by me, and looking around the internet it was clear the company that was claiming charges was stealing card numbers and charging them.
      Before I even found all the malicious charges complaints on the internet, I went down to my credit union, and they removed the 2 charges, puting the funds back in my checking account, cancelled my debit card and issued me a new one.

      Any bank that does not do this is violating the visa/MC terms.

      Another option, is that the bank believes the customer is trying to commit fraud by making a false claim. However, they do have the customr sign a form, like I did for my 2 charges (1 for each charge), the bank then investigates, if they find that the charge was appropriate, they will revearse the credits.

      Yes, when you are a victim, whether on your credit card or debit card, it is time consuming, and a hassle, but the only way to investigate and possibly prosecute the criminals.

      ReplyDelete
    4. I, too just placed an order on the DR website for (4) tickets to the Live Event May 5th in Kansas City. We're offering 2 of the tickets as a prize to our current FPU class. Whomever pays off the most debt as a percentage of thier income DURING the class...gets the tickets.

      When I ordered the tickets, it asked me for either Bank Draft or Debit Card. While I've used the bank draft option before (as I believe Lampo Group is highly trustworthy), I chose Debit Card Option.

      The site asked me for my card number and expiration...NO PIN.

      What this means is that Lampo is using the VISA function of the debit cards. This also means that they have no way of distinguishing between an actual credit card and a debit card (since they're using the VISA function, it's transparent to them).

      I will say, though that MoneyDummy seems a little disingenuous. Forget "all the time I've spent on the website", and the fact that she's probably listening to the radio show (so she should know better)...but the dropdown box says DEBIT CARD or BANK DRAFT.

      What part of that did she not understand? Just that alone should have made her back up and rethink the whole process.

      That's what makes me think she's probably some sort of DR hater and scheister just trying to get a rise out of fans.

      ...good grief...

      ReplyDelete
    5. Hi Pyro -
      good to hear from you again, you are probably right about her trying to incite loyal ramsey fan's.


      I am still trying to figure out how to volunteer for the live event in May.

      ReplyDelete
    6. I think you have to be a coordinator.

      ReplyDelete
    7. You know -- it may be that Dave Ramsey's web developers don't know how to code for debit card only transactions (and thus may have convinced Dave that it's not possible).

      Not every web developer is created alike.

      ReplyDelete