Thursday, October 19, 2006

Term Life Insurance

After I let my term life insurance lapse, I thought I would take a look at what other companies charged. Even though, I really can't afford it, nor as a single person, do I really need it. I have no family members dependent on my income. Still out of curiousity, I went to Term Life Insurance Rate Company and had a look around the site.
According to Term Life Insurance Rate Company, rates for $100,000 20-year garuanteed would run me anywhere from $149.00/year to $366.00/yr. Of all the companies they gave me quotes from Prudential, Lincoln, Mutual of Omaha and PrimeAmerica, however, I received none from State Farm, Alstae or any of the traditional names you would shop on the average street corner of any city. This concerns me, since some of the names aren't as well known as others, collecting on the benifits after the insureds death could be a problem. That is one problem I see of buying online.
Advantages of buying online (from this or another company) would include buying it on your time and eliminating pushy insurance salesmen. Also, you always have customer service for questions, which is what most people use after signing up with an agent anyway. The disadvantages are that usually there is no discount for buying online VS using an agent plus you loose that "personal touch" of service.

No comments:

Post a Comment