Wednesday, August 2, 2006

What Do You Do When...

So what do you do when you are owed better then $3,100? Last year my vehicle at the time was totaled for the 2nd time. Unlike the first time, a suspect was quickly found. Finally months later, in December, to be exact, a court date was set for him to pay me restitution. He failed to show, I won by default, although I would have won anyway, as he had already plead quilty to the 7 crimes he committed in connection to the hit and run (of my parked truck). In January he paid $25, and hasn't paid anything since. Keep in mind he owes me (through the city) better then $3100 and owes the city several hundred dolars in tickets. He has been sent to a collection agency, but how long will it take before I see my money. I could receive the first $25 (again paid back in January) sometime this month. The reason I could be getting the $25 is because payments are to be applied to restitution first and then tickets last, but somehow was applied the opposite way. So, today they are reaplying that payment and will then cut me a check. It won't go very far to paying down the replacement vehicle I got in January, however it will be nice to see even that little bit.
However, in this stubbling mess of words, I wonder, what can I do to get my $3,167.47?

3 comments:

  1. As a landlord, I dealt with these kind of low life people. These people are the ones who never seem to have a job long enough to garnish wages, or bank accounts to pull money from. They live on a cash basis, depositing their paychecks or welfare checks into other people's accounts, or going to those check cashing places.

    Maybe in the future, when this person tries to get their life together and acquire some property, they'll have to resolve this. Basically, you're screwed.

    It's one of the risks you take when you don't have collision insurance with uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin -
    paying cash for everything isn't a bad thing, it's actually a good thing. However, when you tie in the other problems with these things you mentioned make people like this deadbeats.

    I think it is time to seize this guys automobile, even though he shouldn't have one...since driving on a suspended was one of his 7 tickets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The old saying "You can't get blood from a rock" applies here. I think you're gonna have to bite the bullet and realize you're just out that money.

    ReplyDelete